Buy now? or wait?

DTG

Reaction score
Ok so this is my first post on the mac forums and I have a few questions :Confused:

First off, as most people in my generation I am a PC user, but I know the pros and cons of owning a mac or switching to a mac.

I am a senior in college and a lot of employers require the ability to use a mac and pc in my field. I also believe that apple's market share can only grow in the future and in the next generation(s) the mac user-base can only increase.

So I have decided to buy a macbook pro to replace my thinkpad to serve 2 purposes, 1. to learn the mac world and 2. just to try something new.

So to my question(s):

Is now the right time to buy a macbook pro? or should I wait till 9/9/09 for the keynote? (the reason I ask is because the "deal" for a free ipod touch ends 9/8, but I don't want to order a macbook and the next day have a new refreshed hardware line popup)

Are the 3rd party programs like parallel and vmware suitable to run windows games in? or would I be better off using bootcamp?

Does anyone have monitor specs for the macbook pro 17inch's screen? (refresh rate/brightness etc...)

vansmith

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mini (2014, 2018, 2020), MBA (2020), iPad Pro (2018), iPhone 13 Pro Max, Watch (S6)
Is now the right time to buy a macbook pro? or should I wait till 9/9/09 for the keynote? (the reason I ask is because the "deal" for a free ipod touch ends 9/8, but I don't want to order a macbook and the next day have a new refreshed hardware line popup)

Are the 3rd party programs like parallel and vmware suitable to run windows games in? or would I be better off using bootcamp?
If the machine works for you now, what does it matter if there was a refresh? The event on Sept. 9 is expected to be about the iPod anyway as alluded to by the tag line, "It's only rock and roll, but we like it.". See here.

For games, you don't really have a choice - you have to use Boot Camp to run games.

OP
D

DTG

Reaction score
Yeah I hear that the 9/9 event is about a new ipod touch and not so focused on the macbook line, but I like having the newest stuff out lol.

I'm curious to why the deal ends a day before the event. It could just be because a new ipod touch line is being introduced but it could also be that they are going to refresh the macbook line in some way.

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 15" MBP, 16gig ram, 1TB SSD, OS 10.15

I would say that the fact that the iPod touch deal ending on 9/8/09 & the "keynote" on 9/9/09 is not coincidental!!;)

But like you said...the keynote may only be iPod focused & and not related to any new computer hardware. But who knows sometimes.

My thought back to you is...what's more important...a new latest & greatest computer or an iPod?

- If you buy now you get a currently selling laptop & free iPod Touch.
- If you wait till 9/9/09...if there is a new computer hardware announcement ...no free iPod, but then you get the option of buying the "next" latest & greatest Apple Computer...which may or may not be immediately available for sale...or feature-wise may not be better!
- if there is a new computer hardware announcement...that could also mean some nice discounts on the older stuff.

Roll the dice...and see what happens!;)

- Nick

OP
D

DTG

Reaction score
Well I have an Iphone but a free ipod touch isnt a bad thing lol.

The scenario im worried about is them yanking the deal and not releasing new hardware or updates to the macbook line.

But I think I am gonna wait to get screwed lol.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
13" Macbook Pro 2.26Ghz Unibody 4G RAM 160G HDD Superdrive
Do you want a free iPod only to find out they've improved it in some way?

It's probably unlikely they'll do anything with the Macbook, because it's pretty perfect as it is, and it was updated in June. I know because that's when I bought mine and I've rolled the Apple dice several times that came up snake eyes. Bought a mini and 3 months later they added more RAM, faster proc and built in wireless/bluetooth. My wife rolled a 7 for that one. Bought a Macbook second gen and a few months later they got LED screens, faster procs, and a chipset that allowed double the RAM of what mine could do. Both my wife and I rolled snake eyes on that one. Oh well.

Next roll was a seven since I got a new Macbook right after Apple stuffed a bunch of goodies in it, like backlit keyboard, this brilliant trackpad, put back firewire (and 800 at that!), the aluminum unibody, an SD slot and called it a 'Pro'. Wife likes hers just fine as is, so no dice throw for her this time.

Whattya say? Wanna play the Apple Dice Game? It's fun if you have enough cash to throw around, even if you lose. You still get a great computer. ;)

Reaction score
Wait..... Are you saying that since I bought a MacBook Pro on 8/30/09, I get a free iPod touch? This is the first I have heard of it. What do I need to do to get my iPod?

Thanks

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Whattya say? Wanna play the Apple Dice Game? It's fun if you have enough cash to throw around, even if you lose. You still get a great computer. ;)

Great answer dude...I like it!!!:)

- Nick

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Thanks for the info. This was the first I had heard of it, so I wasn't kidding.

Are you a student or in the education area?...if so...good that you stopped in!!!:)

- Nick

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs

cwa107

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
14" MacBook Pro M1 Pro, 16GB RAM, 1TB SSD
In the technology world, if you're always waiting for the next update, you'll be waiting forever.

Buy the machine you need when you need it and it will continue to serve those needs long after the next generation model is eclipsed.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
uMBP 2.66/4GB/320GB; iMac 2.66Ghz/4GB/320GB; Apple TV; Black iPhone 3G 16GB
Buy now, why wait? :)

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.