Windows on a Mac, questions.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Macbook Pro, 4GB RAM, 2.53 GHz Intel Processer, Nvidia 9400m
Boot Camp Newbie

I am going to be getting a MBP, and I would like to run Windows games on. I will be doing 75-80% work on Mac partition and 25-20% on Windows. How much memory would I need to run a couple of games on a Windows partition, and can you change the original partitioned amount? (320 GB Hard drive.)

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
You didn't say which MBP you're planning on getting - but in any event, the base 2 GB of memory should be enough to run Windows in a Boot Camp partition. Most Windows games will run just fine with 2 GB. More important is the graphics processor. Keep that in mind when you purchase the MBP.

As for changing the original partition size after it's set, yes you can but it involves some work. You always want to make sure that any partition resizing does not result in data loss or the inability to boot Windows.

There are several free applications which can do it. "WinClone" is one, and "CampTune" from Paragon software is another. However, I would advise you to allow enough space for the Windows partition when you first create it. That of course depends on which version of Windows you decide on using. XP requires less space than Vista or Windows 7 so plan accordingly.

Regards.

OP
xammax
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
I have just ordered my Macbook Pro (13 in, 2.53 GHZ 4GB RAM) and am going to run Windows. I need to run graphicly intense software. I recieved a free copy of Parallels, and do enjoy the idea of on screen access, but something like a game how well would it preform? (If I do use boot camp should keep the Parallels? Or would that be redundant?)

vansmith

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mini (2014, 2018, 2020), MBA (2020), iPad Pro (2018), iPhone 13 Pro Max, Watch (S6)
Graphics/3D support in virtualization products such as Parallels is touch and go at best. If you need to use graphically intensive programs, including games, Boot Camp is the only viable solution.

OP
xammax
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Is it possible to use Parallels with the copy of Windows used for Bootcamp? (As well)

Reaction score
Yes. You would first create a Boot Camp installation of Windows, then install Parallels or Fusion. Those programs will detect the Boot Camp partition and offer to create a virtual machine from it. However, be aware that with XP installations, using the same XP for both purposes has been known to create corrupted boot and other file problems somewhat randomly (i.e., it will install fine and run fine and then the problem will come up). It's only an XP issue, however - Vista and Win7 don't have this issue.

Therefore, proceed with caution if doing an XP install this way. Otherwise, no worries. Be aware, however, that the problem may not arise - I used a Boot Camp XP install for a VM for quite awhile and never had an issue, but it is a known potential problem.

Cheers

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
17" MacBook Pro, 2.5 GHz Intel Core 2 Duo Processor, 2 GB 667 MHz DDR2 SDRAM, not unibody
Yes, you should create a boot camp partition and Parallels will recognize it and you can also run it as a VM.

OP
xammax
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Wait, will it create a "new" VM, or will it make a copy of the bootcamp and when something happens in the partition or VM it will happen its equivalint?

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
It will create a new VM and use the Boot Camp partition for its information.

However, with XP this is NOT recommended as it is possible to cause corruption to the XP boot sector. If corruption occurs, you may wind up having to reinstall XP and create a new Parallels VM.

Note: The corruption problem occurs with XP, not Vista or Win 7.

Regards.

OP
xammax
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Reaction score
I am using leopard and widows xp in my mac book. i am using bootcamp to switch between the os. when i change os from windows to Mac ,its again starts with windows. When i shutdown the system and keep it for 2 hrs, then start with mac its works.......let me know any one had experience similar problem and if any one know solution for this let me know.

thanks in advance

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.