Just a general question regarding PC games on a Mac

Reaction score
Hey,

I've tried searching for some answers but all i could find was a thread about this from 2007 and i was hoping for a more recent answer.

Obviously you'd buy a pc for gaming if you are interested in that but how easy is it to go the bootcamp route and install newish games on windows ON a mac?

Obviously the specs are important to match..but how much will the performance be affected because its being run through bootcamp? Say the recommended specs are met with the hardware on my mac...is it fair to assume the game will run pretty adequately?

Say hypothetically i buy the top imac with the best graphics etc etc and try to install (via bootcamp) lets say...a brand new pc release...maybe something like champions online or the latest call of duty...can i expect it to run fairly well?

any help with answering some of that rambling would be great!

Cheers!

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
My usual advice to ardent gamers - Is to buy a gaming PC, one which is upgradeable, ie: can change graphic cards, PS, etc.

If you want to run the latest and greatest PC games on your Mac and keep up with advancements in games, then you really need to consider a Mac Pro which can be upgraded as necessary. ($$$)

Nowadays, it's not easy to stay abreast of the latest hardware requirements for newer games. And you probably already know that newer games are more hardware dependent with each iteration.

Having said all that, a fast iMac with the best graphics card available would probably suffice to play the majority of PC games (using a Boot Camp partition) for now and maybe the next year or two.

Regards.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook
all i could find was a thread about this from 2007 and i was hoping for a more recent answer.

Obviously you'd buy a pc for gaming if you are interested in that but how easy is it to go the bootcamp route and install newish games on windows ON a mac?
...and the answer has not changed since 2007.

Here it is:
The sticky at the top of this forum has several posts discussing this topic: http://www.mac-forums.com/forums/wi...4239-running-windows-mac-switchers-guide.html

Also, one point: you are not running your games "through Boot Camp" - under Boot Camp, your Mac boots natively into Windows, so it will perform exactly as any PC would configured with the same equipment. There's no software layer.

Cheers

OP
S
Reaction score
Excellent thanks very much for the help guys!

sorry i didn't notice the other thread there...but thats also very helpful...

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.