Snow Leopard can't see Boot Camp drive

Reaction score
With the exception of a grayed out 'disk03' or whatever, Snow Leopard cannot mount my NTFS Boot Camp partition of Windows 7 x64. But to make the situation even more queer, the 'disk03' is labeled under OS X's disk utility as being a FAT partition. But it clearly says it is an NTFS format when booted into Windows 7 (Can you even INSTALL Windows 7 using FAT format?). Does anyone know what's going on or have any tips for me?

Thanks guys! :D

Reaction score
Couldn't you just install windows XP/Vista and use the NTFS format prior to install and then use the Windows 7 install CD?

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
With the exception of a grayed out 'disk03' or whatever, Snow Leopard cannot mount my NTFS Boot Camp partition of Windows 7 x64. But to make the situation even more queer, the 'disk03' is labeled under OS X's disk utility as being a FAT partition. But it clearly says it is an NTFS format when booted into Windows 7 (Can you even INSTALL Windows 7 using FAT format?). Does anyone know what's going on or have any tips for me?

Neither Vista nor Win 7 can be installed to any other format except NTFS.

Did you install Win 7 after installing Snow Leopard or was it a carry over from your Leopard install? If so, have you updated Boot Camp to version 3.0 and installed the newer drivers from your Snow Leopard DVD?

Regards.

OP
X
Reaction score
Yes I installed it after having installing SL from scratch (then restoring my old leopard settings / apps from a time machine backup). And I used the 3.0 bootcamp drivers. Maybe I should reinstall them..?

Reaction score
Solution!

Hi there,
I had the same problem yesterday. And no one could help me. So I searched for a Tutorial and found one. But I made everything like the tutorial said except that I deleted the Bootcamp Partition instead of just format it.

So everyone who can't see the Bootcamp drive in Snow Leopard do NOT delete the partition, just format it and everything will be fine!

regards

bartrobbe

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
Except that formatting the Boot Camp partition destroys all the data anyway. Might as well start over by using the Boot Camp 3.0 assistant to remove the old partition and create a new one. Then reinstall Win 7.

To the OP:

Try reinstalling the BC 3.0 drivers to see what happens. If that doesn't work, the only way to correct the problem is by starting over. See paragraph above.

Regards.

Reaction score
Starting over and reloading Windows 7 did not fix this problem in my case! Disk utility sees the NTFS BOOTCAMP partition, but does not want to mount it. I tried to force mount it, but no success. How can I access the data on this partition without booting into Windows?

Reaction score
do you have any 3rd party NTFS plug-ins? macfuse ntfs-3g? texera? Both conflict with Snow Leopard (if that is what you are running) and cause the ntfs volumes not to mount.

Reaction score
exact same problem here

I had Snow Leopard and a Windows XP Installation on my BootCamp partition.

I ran Win7 setup and used it to delete that partition and create a new one for win7.

Win7 runs fine, but Snow Leopard doesn't mount the new partition.

As mentioned in the first post, I only see a greyed disk0s3 described as a FAT, too.

What makes me wonder is that SnowLeopards Boot Camp Assistant does not see the boot camp partition either (most likely because I did not use it to create it)

How can I integrate my now existing Windows 7 Boot Camp Partition in Snow Leopard. Any solutions yet?

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
The only time it's necessary to delete the Windows partition when upgrading to Windows 7 is if the partition was formatted to FAT-32. If the XP partition was formatted to NTFS, Windows 7 can be loaded (32 bit version) over the top of XP. What it will do is move the XP data to a separate folder and create a new one for Windows 7.

In your situation since you already deleted the partition and installed Windows 7 that way, Snow Leopard won't recognize the Windows 7 partition. The only way to get around that (at least that I know of) is to start over. Use BC to remove the partition, create a new one, and install Win 7 clean. Make backups first.

Regards.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.