10.5: Small issue with Spaces

Reaction score
Just acquainting myself with Spaces - and I've come a cropper.

I've set it so that I ought to be able to press Opt+ arrow/number keys to switch between spaces, but it doesn't seem to actually work unless I'm moving to space 1 - i.e. pressing opt+1, or e.g. opt+up from space 3 (I have four in a square.)

Any help would be appreciated.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MBP 2.33 4GB: MacPro 8 Core 2.8, 16GB: MacMini 2.26 4GB: MacMin 2.53 4GB: iPhone3GS 32GB
Verify by going to SystemPreferences->Expose & Spaces->Spaces

Make sure you have your mapping correct at the bottom. Post a screen shot if you can.

Also, make sure you don't have some other shortcut mapped to the same key sequence. This could be causing the issue you are seeing.

OP
G
Reaction score
attachment.php

That's what I've got. I have no idea if I have anything else mapped to the same shortcuts - I'm trawling the web to see if I may have had anything set to it by default...

I get a sort of 'error' sound when I press Opt+2, a sort of benevolent 'bloomp', as if to say "I'd love to do that for you, but it's simply impossible."

Picture 1.png

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MBP 2.33 4GB: MacPro 8 Core 2.8, 16GB: MacMini 2.26 4GB: MacMin 2.53 4GB: iPhone3GS 32GB
Hmmm, interesting. Yeah, that 'bloomp' sound is indeed the OS telling you that you can't execute that action...why you can't is the real question. You have everything mapped right as far as I can see so that's out.

What sort of Mac are you using? Laptop/Desktop? Do you have a bluetooth keyboard, wireless keyboard etc?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Can you map the same action you are trying to perform to any of the other predefined keys? Try CommandKey+Arrow or CtrlKey+Arrow.

OP
G
Reaction score
Nope, none of them work, save, as usual, navigation to space 1.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
I'm stumped.

Again, the only thing I can think of is that some other application has these keys mapped. You can go into Keyboard&Mouse->KeyboardShortcuts and look, but I am starting to think this might not be it. I can't imagine any application having ALL these combinations already mapped.

You have a later model Mac than me with extended trackpad/keyboard capabilities so it may be an option you have to enable that I am not seeing on my system.

OP
G
Reaction score
Hm, oh well. Cheers for trying, anyway. I'll carry on digging, and phone up Apple tomorrow if necessary. If I solve it I'll let you know how!

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Out of curiousity, did you have your MBP connected to an external keyboard at any point. I just walked over to my MacMini that was connected to a KVM switch and tried what you are attempting to do....it doesn't work and I get the same behavior as you. Even when I unplugged my Apple keyboard from the KVM and plugged it directly into the Mini, it still doesn't work. I believe I have to go back in and tell the Mini what keyboard type I am now using.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Ok, I think I may have something

Goto

SystemPreferences->Keyboard

You should see a Modifier Keys button here...click this

What does it say your 'Keyboard Type' is?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
I had the same problem as you on my Mini because the machine was incorrectly identifying my keyboard type even when I unplugged it from the KVM and directly into the Mac. If you were connected to an external keyboard before, this may be your issue.

OP
G
Reaction score
Man. I feel really stupid.

It's fixed - I just added and removed another row of spaces and everything's working fine.
Sorry for wasting your time.

Picture 1.png

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Hmmm...10.5, trying to remember where the 'Keyboard Type' could be found.

Essentially it sounds like your MBP thinks he is using a different type of keyboard and can't map the keys correctly. Again, I had the exact same issue on my Mini even when I plugged my keyboard directly in. I had to go back and tell the Mini what type of keyboard (Apple Keyboard) I was using.

Strange that this would be occurring right out of the box, but since the behavior is exactly the same, it's the only thing I can think of at this point.

Also, I assume your using a UK compatible keyboard palette. This might have something to do with it as well.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
It's fixed - I just added and removed another row of spaces and everything's working fine.
Sorry for wasting your time.

LOL...cool. No waste at all. Man, I was really baffled. Glad it works.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
17" MacBook Pro, 2.5 GHz Intel Core 2 Duo Processor, 2 GB 667 MHz DDR2 SDRAM, not unibody
I prefer to use the Control key, though.... Option helps you type special characters without going to the Character Palette.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.