Internet issue. Is my mac the problem?

Reaction score
I just moved into a new place recently and want to run my new macbook pro on wireless cable internet. This is my first time actually trying my mac with internet. For some reason when the network is password protected it won't let me log on. It tries to connect and then says connection timeout. But when my roommate unlocks the network I can use the internet. I'm putting in the correct password. Anyone know what the deal is?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
27 iMac+Thunderbolt, iMac 21,
What do you mean - when my roommate unlocks the network? Does the wireless network use access control which would need your MAC - Machine Access Code

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
13 inch alMacBook 2GHz C2D 4G DDR3, 1.25GHz G4 eMac
Yea I've occasionally had that problem when I was working under Leopard... so far (knock on wood) SL seems to have resolved the issue... but I would occasionally get booted from my wireless router and then try to connect, and it would time out. I'd have to restart the router (unplug and plug back in) and then try again.

OP
M
Reaction score
What do you mean - when my roommate unlocks the network? Does the wireless network use access control which would need your MAC - Machine Access Code

Someone told me that my wireless encryption settings on my laptop may not match the router's i.e. WEP, WPA, etc... Not sure if that's what you mean. Can anyone tell me how to find out which one it is?

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.