Protecting new Macbook Pro

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac Pro, 8GB, 3 750GB HDs, 250GB HD, two 22" monitors, 1 iMac, 1 13" Macbook Pro, AppleTv, 2 iPhones
I just received my new 13" Macbook Pro. Since it will be doing some double duty between home and work, I intend to carry it in the portfolio that I carry with my notepad and a few small computer related items..

But I don't want it to get scratched in something that is really not designed for a small computer. Any suggestions on what I can get to provide some protection but not add any significant bulk? I really don't want to carry an extra bag just for a computer.

Thanks in advance

Michael

CrimsonRequiem

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MBP 2.3 Ghz 4GB RAM 860 GB SSD, iMac 3.4 GHz Intel Core i7 32GB RAM, Fusion Drive 1TB
This.

Just a side note. Do yourself a favor and scratch the thing yourself. That way you won't have to worry about it being scratched. :p

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iBook G3 - You'll be missed.
Couldn't have said it better myself. You can also check out the Incase shells as well. Incase Product

Your local Apple store should have both models. You can go there and touch them, if you ask nicely an Apple employee might even open one for you to see.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15" MacBook Pro (Late-2011), 2.4 GHz Core i7, 8GB RAM, 750GB HDD
I bought one of the speck hard shell cases for my MacBook Pro to protect the laptop itself. I do carry it in a SwissGear laptop backpack, along with the AC adapter and other accessories. I've used the SwissGear bags for several years, and have never had an issue with them. They're well-made and hold up to a lot of use.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook4,1 2.4Ghz C2D 4GB RAM 160GB HD OS X 10.6 Snow Leopard | iPod Touch 16gb 2G
Or if you want a case rather than shell that stays on all the time, check out somethink like this.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15-inch Early 2008; Processor 2.4 GHz Intel Core 2 Duo; Memory 4 GB 667 MHz DDR2 SDRAM; 10.7.5
+1 On the Speck hard shell case. Got mine last week for $40 at J&R here in NY. I really like the plain/clear color because it basically leaves the natural color alone. IMO it doesn't add much bulk, and gives you the option to apply either only the top or bottom sides.

For now I have both sides on, but will be testing my MBP for heat issues when under heavy work loads and see if the bottom half affects things in a negative way.

Doug

Reaction score
Hi, Just bought a new macbook pro 15" yesterday. Instead of starting a new thread thought i'd just post here.

Are these hard shell cases really necessary? I'm going to university, so not sure if i should get one or not.

I was thinking of buying the taipan booq as a case when i carry around the laptop. > Link:

Amazon.com: Booq Taipan 15" MacBook Pro Laptop Skin (Black): Electronics

Or should i just buy both? lol

CrimsonRequiem

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MBP 2.3 Ghz 4GB RAM 860 GB SSD, iMac 3.4 GHz Intel Core i7 32GB RAM, Fusion Drive 1TB
Hi, Just bought a new macbook pro 15" yesterday. Instead of starting a new thread thought i'd just post here.

Are these hard shell cases really necessary? I'm going to university, so not sure if i should get one or not.

I was thinking of buying the taipan booq as a case when i carry around the laptop. > Link:

Amazon.com: Booq Taipan 15" MacBook Pro Laptop Skin (Black): Electronics

Or should i just buy both? lol

Hard shells are not mandatory or necessary. It's up to you and how you take care of your machine. There are obvious pros and cons to each product. The sticker kind involves water...and that can be a problem. Not to mention how long it takes to put them on without air bubbles. Plus the fact that they can peel off and get dirty and change color due to the heat.

The hard kind obviously adds a little bulk and depending on the design of the case prevents airflow. Spec and incase make really good products. However you should remove them once in a while for dusting because dust/dirt can get underneath the case and scratch the surface of your machine.

Reaction score
Thanks for that, very helpful. I think I'll just buy the booq or the incase neoprene. Any idea which protects better?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook Pro 15", 2.8Ghz, 4GB RAM, 500GB/ 60GB 5G iPod/ 160GB 6G iPod/ 8GB Nano/ 32GB 2nd Gen iTouch
I personally use a Speck Products Satin case. Love it.

Reaction score
New MBP here and looking for good hard shell case that I plan on leaving on as much as possible. I like how the Speck give you the option of just having the top part on without the bottom, but I heard some cases don't allow for full range of movement for the top...does the speck one do this

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MBP 13, 2.4, 8GB, 120GB SSD OCZ
New MBP here and looking for good hard shell case that I plan on leaving on as much as possible. I like how the Speck give you the option of just having the top part on without the bottom, but I heard some cases don't allow for full range of movement for the top...does the speck one do this

Yes it does, full range

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.