Keep the Dock on the bottom

Reaction score
Hello everyone, I'm new to these forums and I just recently got a Macbook Pro 13.3".

As much as a love Leopard, there is one thing that is bugging me. Its the Dock. It is always on top of all application windows and finder windows.

Is there a way to keep the dock on the bottom of all windows?

I would like to have it only visible when there are no windows on my desktop. I do know there is a way to auto-hide the dock. But I want it to be visible when I close all my windows. Also if a window is over the dock, I would like put my mouse at the bottom of screen so it pops up (as if you auto-hide it).

When I used Windows, the Object-Dock application (made by Stardock) behaved this way. I don't know if any of you are familiar with it.

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 15" MBP, 16gig ram, 1TB SSD, OS 10.15
Hello everyone, I'm new to these forums and I just recently got a Macbook Pro 13.3".

As much as a love Leopard, there is one thing that is bugging me. Its the Dock. It is always on top of all application windows and finder windows.

I would like to have it only visible when there are no windows on my desktop. I do know there is a way to auto-hide the dock. But I want it to be visible when I close all my windows. Also if a window is over the dock, I would like put my mouse at the bottom of screen so it pops up (as if you auto-hide it).

When I used Windows, the Object-Dock application (made by Stardock) behaved this way. I don't know if any of you are familiar with it.

The dock can either be on the left, right, or bottom of the screen.

First of all you could adjust the size of your windows so that the dock & the window don't overlap.

You could also use the "automatically hide and show the dock" feature by checking by selecting this feature in Apple Menu > System Preferences > Dock.

If you choose this feature...the dock will only appear if you move your mouse to the bottom of the screen (if that is where you have your dock)..and the dock will disappear if you move your mouse upwards.

Hope this helps,

- Nick

OP
Bacara1138
Reaction score
I know I can do the auto-hide thing. But I want to be visible when there are no windows open on my desktop.

But thanks anyway.

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs

I would like to have it only visible when there are no windows on my desktop. I do know there is a way to auto-hide the dock. But I want it to be visible when I close all my windows. Also if a window is over the dock,

I guess I'm confused what you mean by:

- It is always on top of all application windows and finder windows.
- Is there a way to keep the dock on the bottom of all windows?
- I would like to have it only visible when there are no windows on my desktop.
- But I want it to be visible when I close all my windows.

I guess I not really sure what you mean by these statements?:Confused: :Confused:

- Nick

OP
Bacara1138
Reaction score
Ok, I'm sorry for being confusing. Basically what I want is to make the dock work like a icon on the desktop. The dock will stay on the desktop. Actual windows can go over the dock. Like the Hard Drive Icon.

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Ok, I'm sorry for being confusing. Basically what I want is to make the dock work like a icon on the desktop. The dock will stay on the desktop. Actual windows can go over the dock. Like the Hard Drive Icon.

Ahh yes...I understand what you mean now. You sort of want a "floating palette" that represents the dock...is this right?

If this is true...how would this be better than the way the dock is currently designed? Just curious.

Thanks,

- Nick

OP
Bacara1138
Reaction score
^ Right. That's pretty much what I want.
Well, currently the dock is always visible. It takes up space on the screen. Being that resolution of the 13.3 MB Pro is only 1280x800, the vertical space is limited. I guess for now I will just be happy with putting the dock on the left side.

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
^ Right. That's pretty much what I want.
Well, currently the dock is always visible. It takes up space on the screen. Being that resolution of the 13.3 MB Pro is only 1280x800, the vertical space is limited. I guess for now I will just be happy with putting the dock on the left side.

That's why I mentioned in my first reply above...using the docks "auto hide" feature...why wouldn't that work for you?

- Nick

OP
Bacara1138
Reaction score
I just don't like auto-hide stuff. Its get annoying at times. But its ok. Thanks for the quick replies.

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
I just don't like auto-hide stuff. Its get annoying at times. But its ok. Thanks for the quick replies.

I totally understand you not wanting the dock visible all the time, especially with a 13.3" screen. But honestly...the auto hide feature is the best option.

If you had a "floating palette" that represented your dock...then it would be underneath all your open windows all the time. If you wanted to switch to another program (without quitting the 1st program)...or open another program...then you would have to close or minimize all your open windows to get to this "floating palette" of your dock.

With the "auto hide/auto show" feature of the dock...you don't have to close any windows, minimize any windows.

I hope this helps, and makes sense.

- Nick

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
13'' Macbook Pro 2.26 Ghz Intel Core 2 Duo 2 GB 1067 Mhz DDR3 500 GB 7200rpm HD
I was in the same boat as you Bacara1138 but what I did was just put the window size as big verticle WITHOUT going over the dock. and made it as big horizontally. This works for me because I can still access my dock without the window covering it up.

I guess you can't have the best of both worlds which sounds like what you want. But I am fine with doing it my way. You will get used to it.

OP
Bacara1138
Reaction score
I figured out how to put the dock on the top left side of the screen. I made the icons smaller which also helps. Now that it uses the horizontal part of the screen, I feel like I have more space. Only having 800 vertically is tough. But I guess with 1280 pixels horizontally, I can give some up for the dock.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac Specs: Mid 2009 13" MacBookPro 2.26 GHz, 5 Gb, 500 GB, OS X 10.6.5
I agree with you Bacara1138. I had same problem when I moved to 13 inch mac. I too wanted some vertical space. And autohide is really annoying. Putting the dock on right was the only solution I could think of.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
13'' Macbook Pro 2.26 Ghz Intel Core 2 Duo 2 GB 1067 Mhz DDR3 500 GB 7200rpm HD
good idea. I just put mine to the right and now I can at least double click my HD because before I couldn't and I like the icons when its to the right. Makes it easier. Thanks guys

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.