Is this possible?

Reaction score
I have 2 copies of XP Pro (1) a OEM SP2 dell disc I used with my previous i9300 notebook, (2) a Microsoft OEM copy of XP w/ SP1 (presumably). Soon after buying my MacBook I thought I could simply use my Dell OEM copy of XP. Soon after I installed XP I found out that it needs to recognize the Dell hardware in order for Windows to work and not bug you to activate it. This second is a fully legal copy of XP, with serial number, only durning the install process it does not see the BootCamp partition which leads me to believe it only has SP1. My question is, is their any way around either using my Dell OEM copy of xp or using the SP1 version of XP? Sorry for the loaded question. Thanks to those who respond.

bobtomay

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15" MBP '06 2.33 C2D 4GB 10.7; 13" MBA '14 1.8 i7 8GB 10.11; 21" iMac '13 2.9 i5 8GB 10.11; 6S
Using the Dell branded disk is not legal and in fact will not work.

If the other disk is not in use and/or has not been installed on another computer, then you can use it, but you'll have to slipstream SP2 onto the disk. It will require activation. If it has been activated on another computer it will more than likely require a phone call to MS for activation. They may or may not allow you to activate it.

(You can google slipstream and find plenty of 'how to's' out there.)

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.