Thinking of switching...

Reaction score
Long time Mac hater here, but I've had numerous friends switch that love their Mac and I'm getting pretty sick of my computer randomly freezing up.

However, there are a couple questions I have and was wondering if this community would help...

-Whats the deal with no blu-ray support? Is the next OS going to support it? I have a blu-ray external drive I use with my PC and would like to use it with my Mac.

-I have versions of PowerPoint and Dreamweaver and Flash, will those PC serial numbers work with my Mac?

-I'm thinking of getting a mini-mac and want to install the RAM myself and save lots of money, but they told me this invalidates the warranty. Is that really a big deal? The warranty only lasts a year anyway.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
White MacBook. iLife '09. iWork '09. Mac OS X 10.6
1. Blu-ray is a type of DVD. Are you thinking of Bluetooth. I believe some of the older G4s don't support that, but any intel machine should.

2. ?

3. Yes and no. Apple machines, in all their glory can have a couple of bumps at the beginning of the road, small problems that need fixing. That will happen on any machine; Mac, Dell, HP, IBM, etc. So, I would suggest waiting a while before installing ram (a month or two) so if there is a problem it's covered by the warranty.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
So you do mean the DVD, not a hard drive? Hmm. Don't know about that one. Hold on, I'll do some quick googling. However, if they are not supported it's the hardware, not the software.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Alright, did a quick search and as far as I can tell: no. Macs do not support blue-ray DVD's yet. It would require a different type of player, and I believe it would make it impossible to read normal disks, wouldn't it?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac Mini Core i7 2012 | White 2009 MacBook 2 Ghz | 733 Mhz G4 Quicksilver
Question 2

You will need to buy Office for Mac for powerpoint, or use the (superior in my view) Apple Keynote, or use Open Office as a free alternative to MS Office

For Adobe apps, you can cross grade at minimal cost, contact Adobe

Adobe will allow you to perform a cross-grade, or cross-platform upgrade, of your Adobe product, assuming it meets the upgrade qualifications and provided you send them a signed Letter of Software Destruction. The Letter of Destruction states that you agree to delete all copies of the product you are exchanging and also that you will not "sell, transfer, give away, donate, or otherwise distribute the exchanged Adobe product or copies to anyone else."

You will still need to pay the upgrade cost, and you will need to conduct the purchase via telephone by calling Adobe Sales at 1-800-833-6687 (see Adobe.com for international numbers). The Letter of Software Destruction may be faxed, e-mailed, or snail-mailed to Adobe.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Yeah, Keynote is definitely better and easier to use.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.