G4 Will Not Shutdown Properly

M

mididad

I have just initialized my hard disk, on my Mac G4 OS 9.2.1, cleaned it up, installed Norton Utilities and re-installed all my other apps and the blessed thing is not cooperating even after examining and defraging it with Norton Utilities. There is no indication that anything is wrong with the disk according to the report I get from Norton Utilities. WHEN I SHUT IT DOWN, PROPERLY, IT RESTARTS AUTOMATICALLY. IT WONT STAY SHUT DOWN! WHY? WHY? WHY? Can someone please help me? : :eek:
Best regards,

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
G5•2x1.8•1.5•320•8x+/-
Moved thread to where it might be more helpful

Run Disk Utility (Under Appllications/Utilities) and see if there is a permission problem

rman

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
14in MacBook Pro M1 Max 32GB 2TB
I never experience this problem, so here is my guess. Is your software up to date?

OP
M

mididad

MacAddikt said:
Moved thread to where it might be more helpful

Run Disk Utility (Under Appllications/Utilities) and see if there is a permission problem
Forgive my ignorance but the only utility I have, I think is Norton Utilities, so I am not sure if you're talking about the Norton Utilities or some other utilities? If I had this utility you're talking about, I would probably be able to find and see about the permission problem. Funny thing is the problem not SHUTTING down completely and automatically restarting, doesn't always happen. I'd say 25% of the time it SHUTS down completely just fine.
I do run regular maintenance with Norton Utilities as well as trying to update my software. So, the problem, though inconsistant, is persistant and rather irritating but thanks for your initial attempt to help me.
Much appreciated,
mididad :confused:

OP
M

mididad

rman said:
I never experience this problem, so here is my guess. Is your software up to date?
Yes! I do try to update my software on a regular basis. See my reply to Mr. MacAddikt.
Best Regards,
mididad

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
G5•2x1.8•1.5•320•8x+/-
LOL. Mr MacAddikt. so formal

Maybe its something with norton. i never use it on my mac, its kinda pointless. however, on my windows machine at work, sometimes it requires a restart to put the changes into effect. so maybe theres a preference somewhere in norton where it needs to restart or something? not sure where it could be, like i said, i dont have norton for my mac

ps. the Disk Utility application comes with all macs. Its Under your Applications folder, in another folder called Utilities.

OP
M

mididad

MacAddikt said:
LOL. Mr MacAddikt. so formal

Maybe its something with norton. i never use it on my mac, its kinda pointless. however, on my windows machine at work, sometimes it requires a restart to put the changes into effect. so maybe theres a preference somewhere in norton where it needs to restart or something? not sure where it could be, like i said, i dont have norton for my mac

ps. the Disk Utility application comes with all macs. Its Under your Applications folder, in another folder called Utilities.

Hi Mr. MacAddikt,
You say in your reply
"ps. the Disk Utility application comes with all macs. Its Under your Applications folder, in another folder called Utilities."
I will look into it my friend. Thanks for all your help.
God bless,
mididad

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook Pro 2.6 GHz Core 2 Duo 4GB RAM OS 10.5.2
Plus nortons has been known to cause havoc to people's systems.. I would probably discontinue use.. just to be safe..

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.