cropping in iPhoto

Reaction score
Amazing how just when things are going well - I manage to run into another wall. So if you very kind and helpful folks will once again come to the aid of that rboseley - I will again be most appreciative.

Now it’s pictures. I’ll make it simple. I decided to make the beautiful Snow Leopard from the Apple site my desktop. So, I right click and add it to iPhoto library. Go to iPhoto and “thought” I cropped it to leave off the writing on the left. Saved it. In the library it shows the new pic as cropped. I set it as wallpaper.

Nice - but it’s just like the pic from Apple - writing still there. I’ll just crop it again. Go into iphoto and now the pic is one of those very light grey entries which can’t be opened. All the other library pic - brought over from PC - are fine,

So what stupid error did I commit now? First why does the cropping not show and why can I no longer open it?

Any recommendations of a good, inexpensive editor? I bought Photosuite years ago and have loved it. It of course will not run on the Mac; and the company apparently is long gone. OR is iPhoto a great editor I simply have not learned to use?

Thanks again.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
13" MBA. 15" MBP. iPhone 4. 3G Pad 2.
Please don't add or move pictures in the iPhoto library in your pictures folder. If fact look but don't touch as far as the iPhoto library file goes :)

Add the pictures by dropping them into the open iPhoto app or iPhoto > File > Import to iPhoto.
In iPhoto > Double click photo to edit > crop plus any of the other options > Done.
Use System prefs > Desktop > iPhoto Albums to set as desktop.

For simple cropping and saving pictures that you don't want in iPhoto Preview plus a normal folder in Pictures (right click > New folder) works well..
S.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
21" iMac * 2.8 Ghz Intel Core i7 * 16GB 1333 Mhz DDR3 * 1TB HD *AMD Radeon HD 6770M 512 MB
I don't think iPhoto permanently changes edited pictures, which is why even after you crop them you can return them to their original sizes. If the desktop is bigger than the picture or differently shaped, it might be trying to use as much of the picture as possible, even though it looks cropped in iPhoto.

You can make another version of the photo that's been cropped in Preview and use that as the wallpaper. Gimp is a good free photo editor that is similar to Photoshop.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15.4" uMBP: iPhone 4
iPhoto makes duplicates of your original image so that you can revert back to it later.

Originals folder = original photo
Modded folder = photos that have been edited.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.