Digital slide scanners

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iMac (retina 5K), 27" 2019
Hi everyone, I am based in the UK and am looking at investing in a high quality slide scanner. I have a large number of my own and inherited slides, dating back some 60 years. The older ones will require cleaning up in photoshop which is fine, but I would like to start with high quality scans. I used to work with high end Fuji flatbed scanners, so my expectations are high. I have thought about buying and using a full frame DSLR, to do the job, which I guess would be about the same kind of cost, but would be much more laborious. If anyone can offer any sound advice that would be great.:)

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Macbook Pro, 4GB RAM, 250GB HD
ok, i just bought a slide and negative film scanner!!
its close to top of the range,

I actually bought it from the states, I found a shop that will ship it over to the UK.
I believe it is called B&H, its based in new york.
you should have a little look round on their site, ill try and get back to you on the scanner i bought!!

This is the one!!! its awesome!!!
Nikon | Super Coolscan 5000 ED Film Scanner | 9238 | B&H Photo

but if u search slide scanners there are loads to choose from!!!
B&H Photo Video | Digital Cameras, Camcorders

OP
K
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iMac (retina 5K), 27" 2019
Nikon Coolscan 5000 ED

Hi ZigDog, you kindly replied to my open question and coincidentally I have been looking at this very scanner. I understand that they have been discontinued by Nikon, but are still available from several retailers. I have also looked at getting one second hand, and to that end have had a look on ebay where there are currently 2 on offer. I presume that you are a Mac user since you subscribe to this forum. What has been your experience so far with your new scanner? I have done some ferreting around at reviews and other users' experiences and have discovered that this model is not compatible with Macs beyond OSX 10.3. I use 10.4.1 (Tiger). I rang Nikon and have had that confirmed, just to be sure. They will still offer tech support but not software updates or compatibility support issues. What I did get was a lead to a German firm that now produces software that updates that compatibility…but at a price…€398.00!!!! I would be most interested to know what your experience has been so I have a better idea how to go forward.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.