Digital SLR For Beginner?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iMac 27" 3.06Ghz 4G Ram| iPhone 3G 8Gb
What are some models I should be looking at? I was going to look at higher end point and shoot digital cameras but would like to start editing some photo's and learning the in's and out's of photography.

I just expect to be taking happy snaps first, then find what I'm really passionet about and follow that.

Should I invest in a good point and shoot frist then do digital SLR?

I was even looking on eBay just for ideas/prices so any suggestions would be great!

Also, I'm looking into tables. I want to get the new Wacom I4 but it's a little out of the price range I think I'm willing to spend and I dont know if it's worth getting a 4x6 lol?

Will that be to small to be doing work on? I'm thinking 6x8 will be a better size..

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
13" MBP, 2.26GHz, 8gb RAM
Some people may disagree with me on a few points... but here goes.

I'd go for an entry level DLSR (such as the Canon 500D or the Nikon D40) - you can get them for just a little bit more than a high end point and shoot and the amount of control you get out of them is worth it. Not to mention you can eventually upgrade lenses to experiment with different types of photography, something you couldn't do with a point and shoot.

eBay is a great place to buy, but do your research elsewhere. Find out what camera you want and THEN go to eBay.

I've worked on a 4x6, 6x8 and and A4 tablet and for me, the best size was 6x8. A4 was too big and I felt I was using my elbow too much and couldn't get smooth lines and the 4x6 was just too small to be able to do any detail. 6x8 is perfect for me but it's worth finding a way to try them out before buying.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
20" Intel iMac 2.4 Ghz/3G Ram/320HD, Snow Leopard. PBook G4, 1.5Ghz/1.5 Ram/250 HD, Leopard 10.5.6.
I'd definitely be looking at the Sony A350 too, great camera's, feature packed and well priced.

OP
bennjiboi
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Yeah I was having a look at Sony - Being new to the market I dont know what specs to look for so I'm just looking for somthing well priced and well known.

Tablet wise, I think I'll just part with the cash and get a 6x8 I4 from wacom.

What featurers should I look for in a D SLR?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
20" Intel iMac 2.4 Ghz/3G Ram/320HD, Snow Leopard. PBook G4, 1.5Ghz/1.5 Ram/250 HD, Leopard 10.5.6.
Yeah I was having a look at Sony - Being new to the market I dont know what specs to look for so I'm just looking for somthing well priced and well known.

Tablet wise, I think I'll just part with the cash and get a 6x8 I4 from wacom.

What featurers should I look for in a D SLR?

You want to get as much spec as you can afford, but I think the most important thing is a good quality lens, because a 12 million pixel picture taken through a bad lens won't look as good as a 2 million one taken with a great lens.
I don't think that full manual mode is necessary to start with, but most D SLR's have it anyway.
The biggest difference with the top range models over lesser models are things like faster ISO settings, fast frame rates, better build, better lenses etc.
It's so competitive now that all cameras are heavily laden with features anyway.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iPod Nano 4gb, 20" 2.66 GHz Core 2 Duo, 2GB of ram, ATI HD 2600 pro
It could also be worth your while to buy the body and pick out which lens that you would be using soon. The D40 is nice as well as the D90 or the new D5000 it all depends on your budget the feel in your hand and what you like.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Sooper Fast!
Skip entry level and buy used. You can find used Canon 40D's for about $600. Killer deal for a killer camera.

Plus it's a proven fact that Canon is the best camera company evAr.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Way... way too many specs to list.
Skip entry level and buy used. You can find used Canon 40D's for about $600. Killer deal for a killer camera.

Plus it's a proven fact that Canon is the best camera company evAr.
I don't mind their cameras technically.. but I HATE their SLR ergonomics.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2 MacPros, 1 MacBook Pro
Frankly, if you're going to dive into DSLRs, take a close look at lenses and let that be you're deciding factor. Most would agree that the best lens come from Nikon and Canon. I personally prefer Canon's. The lens will be where you spend most of your money and since even entry level SLR's will take a great pic with a good lens . . .and as your photography improves, you can invest up for a better body. Afterall, technology in the SLR market is rapidly changing.

If I could just make a humble plug :)

Nikon makes great cameras, there's no doubt about it . . .but they're slow to release technology on the market, preferring to test, test and test adnausem. Canon on the otherhand, develops fabulous technology and puts it in our hands to test. They listen to the prosumers and give us what we want. I like that in a company.

Good luck with your purchase :)

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 15" MBP, 16gig ram, 1TB SSD, OS 10.15
What are some models I should be looking at? I was going to look at higher end point and shoot digital cameras but would like to start editing some photo's and learning the in's and out's of photography.

I happen to have a Nikon D80. I'm quite "clueless" when it comes to DSLR's...but most of them have an "auto" exposure feature where all you have to do is adjust the "zoom" if it's not a fixed focal length (non-zoom) lens...then point & shoot like more entry level consumer cameras.

As I learn how the use the "DSLR" features...I can take it off "auto" mode...and go crazy!!!;D

I'm in no way endorsing any particular brand...just that if you have the bucks...you don't have to limit yourself the low-end DSLR's...since even the medium & higher end ones have the "auto" exposure feature.

And like has already been mentioned...lenses with various zoom ranges are available (and can get expensive)...so check out lenses as well to see what you like (and price) before deciding on a DSLR brand camera.

Hope this helps,

- Nick

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Way... way too many specs to list.
IMO the best thing you can do is go with the one you're most comfortable shooting with. Both Nikon and Canon are excellent quality cameras, no if's and's or but's about that... but if you're uncomfortable using it it does you no good... so I shoot Nikon SLR's (have been since my first FM2Nt) and Canon point and shoots.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Late 2013 rMBP, i7, 750m gpu, OSX versions 10.9.3, 10.10
One tid bit that no one mentions here - if you are going to go into DSLR, choose carefully about which manufacturer you want to go with.

Canon and Nikon are the two best manufacturers. Sony makes a decent dSLR, as does Olympus, etc. but they rarely come up to Nikon and Canon in terms of output quality (especially at higher iso ratings), feature set, overall build quality. Canon and Nikon also are well known for their glass in the business - there's a reason why on the sidelines you'll see the white of a Canon L lens or the blackness of the Nikon lens and body; although there are some other manufacturer bodies being used - nikon and canon have the greatest presence.

It won't matter too much for your first camera as chances are you'll end up getting a kit with pre-bundled lenses. The issue becomes as you purchase glass. If you really get into photography, you'll find you'll spend significantly more on glass than on the camera body (even if you were to buy a $10K camera body, chances are you'll spend more on glass in the long run). As the glass is a major investment - that investment also makes it more challenging to just swap manufacturers since lenses are not compatible across nikon/canon/sony/olympus/etc. Basically, what I'm saying is, if you're going into dSLR land now, don't invest heavy into glass until you've found a system that you really like and feel you'll want to stick with.

Some good places to research camera bodies, including in depth reviews, samples, noise graphs, etc. is:
dpreview.com
steves-digicams.com
luminous-landscape.com
digitalcamerareview.com (good reviews, but I don't like their advertising)
and there are others that provide good reviews too, but these should get you started.

My personal favorite is dpreview, only because they provide extremely in depth reviews, flaws, things the camera excels at and comparison photos between a given camera and others in its same genre. Note that not every camera is reviewed, but they do have a lot. Their forums are kinda rough tho and I long ago stopped posting there.

I've shot with Kodak (back when they made the DCS pro cameras), Fuji (nikon body, fuji sensor and electronics), Nikon and Canon. Personally I like Nikon. Others like Canon and others like Olympus, sony, etc. For each manufacturer you'll find people that like that manufacturer and can give you an opinion about why that one is best. Look for the sample photos, resolving capability of the sensor, issues with the camera, ISO performance (ie: if a dSLR can't shoot above iso 200 without adding a ton of noise or major smearing, it's one to steer away from). Megapixels is not the end all be all way to choose a camera. Anything 6 mpix or greater that generates a quality image will print a great 8x10 (I have some that are 13x19 and 16x20's that are prints from a 6 mpix camera that came out wonderful). Check multiple reviews to make sure you understand the strengths and weaknesses of a camera before you choose.

Granted, this may sound scary, but one you really start looking, it's not as daunting as it may seem as you'll start to know what to look for in a camera.

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 15" MBP, 16gig ram, 1TB SSD, OS 10.15
One tid bit that no one mentions here - if you are going to go into DSLR, choose carefully about which manufacturer you want to go with.

To be honest...I think at least two people that posted mentioned this already!

- Nick

Reaction score
I would suggest a Canon EOS 1000D. This is a very good camera for both trying out new shots as well as certain types of shots such as night shots :)

Also, since this was my first DSLR I wasn't lost in the various settings and menus of the camera and it also has automatic modes and a good choice of settings in the manual modes :)

Tom.

OP
bennjiboi
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Thanks for all the great advice! I'm going to look second hand. There was a lot of what seemed to be good deals on line.

I dont know a lot about len's but I guess that will all come with time. I'll get my camera then come consult when I need to get a new lens!

You guys rock thanks for all the suggestion and explination!

I'd be lost without this forum!

OP
bennjiboi
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
I'm looking to buy a Canon EOS 400D, I saw 450D but there were a lot of bad reviews for that model..

Suggestions? I am just going to buy second hand and try to pick up something that might have a few lens to get me started..

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Canon lenses are generally excellent, as are Nikon.
Sigma make fine lenses for all makes too, and are generally cheaper than big name brand lenses (by that I mean Canon, Nikon etc). APO lenses are the best (apochromatic coated).
It really depends on your budget and what you intend to shoot.
If you can give me a pointer there I will scout Ebay Aus for you, to see what I think is worth a look.

OP
bennjiboi
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
That would be great, I have been hunting for a little while, just seeing what things are actually going for.

I was hoping to aim for about $800 but I'm thinking I will have to spend a little closer to $950 - $1000

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Ok, I'll take a look.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.