2 questions about Upgrading to Snow Leopard but on a new drive

Reaction score
Hello,

I just bought a larger drive for my MacBook Pro. I will buy the new SL and install it fresh on the new drive.

1. After replacing the drive, how do I start the installation please?
2. On the old drive I have data and some applications that I wish to keep but do not have the installation disks or files. How could I transfer them to the new disk and to be still working? I have a USB backup drive but don't know how to use it.

Thank you in advance guys :)

Reaction score
plug in your external drive
start up disk utility and format it.
It's now essentially a drag and drop drive, like a penstick, but bigger.

Copy all your files you need to there.
Note: be sure you're not breaking any software egreement thingies

install the new drive
turn the system on, inserting the SL disk
restart and hold C

follow instructions

retrieve files from backup, realising some programs may not work.

OP
D
Reaction score
Thanks a lot Dragon. It is all clear but is there a way that once when I transfer some programs back to the newly installed OS to make sure these applications will do work, please?

bobtomay

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15" MBP '06 2.33 C2D 4GB 10.7; 13" MBA '14 1.8 i7 8GB 10.11; 21" iMac '13 2.9 i5 8GB 10.11; 6S
Yes, there is. Do not install SL until the applications you are concerned about have been tested and verified to work by others.

Anyone installing it on day one automatically becomes a tester of all 3rd party software.

Reaction score
though some applications have already been tested, normally under developer releases.
there's a list somewhere ...

Reaction score
I suggest that, instead of dragging and dropping to the external, you use CarbonCopyCloner or SuperDuper to make an image of your current HD. Install the new HD and restore from the external (I think you can use DiskUtility from an install CD/DVD - search for the correct way to do this). Then, when you install SL, you're more likely to have everything that you wanted to keep.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Unibody Macbook Pro 13'' 2.26GHz 4GB RAM 320GB 7200RPM HDD
just riding on this thread. i bought my MBP in june, so with my leopard already installed on it, comes with iLife 09. i got the up-to-date disc version of Snow Leopard. Im getting a new HD as well, and i wanna do a fresh install of snow leopard on the new HD, without installing leopard. Does my up-to-date come with iLife09? if not, how do i get iLife09?

can i install snow leopard and den pop in the leopard disc or smth? not sure if it works that way

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.