• Welcome to the Off-Topic/Schweb's Lounge

In addition to the Mac-Forums Community Guidelines, there are a few things you should pay attention to while in The Lounge.

Lounge Rules
    • If your post belongs in a different forum, please post it there.
    • While this area is for off-topic conversations, that doesn't mean that every conversation will be permitted. The moderators will, at their sole discretion, close or delete any threads which do not serve a beneficial purpose to the community.

Understand that while The Lounge is here as a place to relax and discuss random topics, that doesn't mean we will allow any topic. Topics which are inflammatory, hurtful, or otherwise clash with our Mac-Forums Community Guidelines will be removed.

microsoft racial goof-up: a picture is worth a 1,000 words

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook Pro 15 inch | 2.66Ghz | 320GB-HD | 4G-RAM | GeForce 9400M & 9600M GT with 512MB DDR3 SDRAM
If Microsoft changed the picture to appeal to Poland's 97% homogenous population then why was the Asian guy not changed-out also? I think big business will do whatever it takes to make money and does not think how their actions could cause un-easy feelings. Microsoft promoted two stereo-types that are prevalent in the business world today. Black men are not respected globally and Asian men are a must for IT leadership.

This gives me another reason to dislike Microsoft.

Poles on Microsoft gaffe: Isn't that a Mac in the shot? | Technically Incorrect - CNET News

CrimsonRequiem

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MBP 2.3 Ghz 4GB RAM 860 GB SSD, iMac 3.4 GHz Intel Core i7 32GB RAM, Fusion Drive 1TB
The head on the photo retouch is a little small for the body.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iPod Nano 4gb, 20" 2.66 GHz Core 2 Duo, 2GB of ram, ATI HD 2600 pro
I still like this one the most...

ballmerpoland.jpg

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Sooper Fast!
If Microsoft changed the picture to appeal to Poland's 97% homogenous population then why was the Asian guy not changed-out also? I think big business will do whatever it takes to make money and does not think how their actions could cause on-easy feelings. Microsoft promoted two stereo-types that are prevalent in the business world today. Black men are not respected globally and Asian men are a must for IT leadership.

This gives me another reason to dislike Microsoft.

Poles on Microsoft gaffe: Isn't that a Mac in the shot? | Technically Incorrect - CNET News

Like Apple's predicatment over Google voice that reflects what they've been doing to no name developers with their app store so that people will have to but their apps and use their products instead of using other legit apps that have more functionality than what Apple provides?

Any ways, I don't believe Microsoft has a white paper saying "Nix black people for Polish ads". They have ad and marketing people that let this out. I'm pretty sure that person has been fired by now.

You can stop hating Microsoft until the next little thing gets blown out of proportion.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2018 15" MBP, 2019 11" iPad Pro, iPhone 11 Pro
Yeah, I read that news story yesterday online somewhere.

It almost looks like he's using a white Macbook but they photoshopped out the Apple logo on the back.

OP
coolbreeze
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook Pro 15 inch | 2.66Ghz | 320GB-HD | 4G-RAM | GeForce 9400M & 9600M GT with 512MB DDR3 SDRAM
"Like Apple's predicatment over Google voice that reflects what they've been doing to no name developers with their app store so that people will have to but their apps and use their products instead of using other legit apps that have more functionality than what Apple provides?

Any ways, I don't believe Microsoft has a white paper saying "Nix black people for Polish ads". They have ad and marketing people that let this out. I'm pretty sure that person has been fired by now.

You can stop hating Microsoft until the next little thing gets blown out of proportion.[/"

Microsoft would not have such a policy but their unspoken corporate culture can promote such values.

To me Microsoft insulted Polish people. Apparently someone thought Polish people would be turned-off by a Black man but seeing an Asian man is OK.

It's not being blown out of proportion but people are making sure Microsoft realizes that the world is changing and race does not matter. When society changes its values it seems those with power are always the last to know.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Sooper Fast!
"Like Apple's predicatment over Google voice that reflects what they've been doing to no name developers with their app store so that people will have to but their apps and use their products instead of using other legit apps that have more functionality than what Apple provides?

You can stop hating Microsoft until the next little thing gets blown out of proportion.[/"

Microsoft would not have such a policy but their unspoken corporate culture can promote such values.

To me Microsoft insulted Polish people. Apparently someone thought Polish people would be turned-off by a Black man but seeing an Asian man is OK.

It's not being blown out of proportion but people are making sure Microsoft realizes that the world is changing and race does not matter. When society changes its values it seems those with power are always the last to know.

You mean, Microsoft's advertising agency? And this has happened before. I'll go find examples so you can hate those companies too.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Sooper Fast!
From the city of Toronto:
toronto.jpg

Must they feel that they have to obviously photo shop in a black man to provide a racially diverse image to their citizen?

loreal.jpg

Go hate on L'oreal for making Beyonce more white so their customers can tolerate their products.

company.jpg

Not sure about this ^^ company, but get after 'em.

curves.jpg

OP
coolbreeze
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
"Hate" is a very strong word. I never wrote the word "hate". I wrote "dislike". And yes I dislike any one or any group that racially insults anyone. Just because more than one company does something doesn't make it right.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Sooper Fast!
"Hate" is a very strong word. I never wrote the word "hate". I wrote "dislike". And yes I dislike any one or any group that racially insults anyone. Just because more than one company does something doesn't make it right.

It's marketing. You wouldn't want a picture of your grandma on fruit roll ups.

OP
coolbreeze
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Yes I know it's marketing. Had Microsoft ad agency changed the Asian man too I would not have noticed. But they only change the Black man. They are saying that Polish people don't want to see a Black man but are OK with an Asian man. That's not true!!! Polish people are not like that. I went to a high school were Polish people were 1/3 of the student body. And I still have several Polish friends and co-workers. They do not prefer one race over another. Microsoft not only sent the wrong message, they sent a false message.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Sooper Fast!
Yes I know it's marketing. Had Microsoft ad agency changed the Asian man too I would not have noticed. But they only change the Black man. They are saying that Polish people don't want to see a Black man but are OK with an Asian man. That's not true!!! Polish people are not like that. I went to a high school were Polish people were 1/3 of the student body. And I still have several Polish friends and co-workers. They do not prefer one race over another. Microsoft not only sent the wrong message, they sent a false message.

You mean, Microsoft's marketing department did.

OP
coolbreeze
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Yes their marketing department.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.