Bootcamp question...

Reaction score
I am going to run bootcamp for the first time on my computer and install Windows XP. I was reading the bootcamp manual and was a little confused by this...

Important:
You must use a single full-install Windows installation disc (Service Pack 2 is required for Windows XP installations). Do not use an upgrade version of Windows and do not install an earlier version of Windows XP and attempt to update it later to SP2 or later.

...I have a copy of XP and a seperate disc with service pack 2. Does this mean that I can't install XP and then update it with the service pack?? It seems kind of odd to me. Can someone please explain this and let me know what I should do?

bobtomay

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15" MBP '06 2.33 C2D 4GB 10.7; 13" MBA '14 1.8 i7 8GB 10.11; 21" iMac '13 2.9 i5 8GB 10.11; 6S
Yes, you need to have an SP2 copy of XP.

You can create your own by slipstreaming.

You can find directions here.

Reaction score
It means what it says, either get or make a single disk copy of XP SP2, but not from an upgrade or manufacturer OEM disk. Seriously - follow this instruction or things will go wrong.

Cheers

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.