• Welcome to the Off-Topic/Schweb's Lounge

In addition to the Mac-Forums Community Guidelines, there are a few things you should pay attention to while in The Lounge.

Lounge Rules
    • If your post belongs in a different forum, please post it there.
    • While this area is for off-topic conversations, that doesn't mean that every conversation will be permitted. The moderators will, at their sole discretion, close or delete any threads which do not serve a beneficial purpose to the community.

Understand that while The Lounge is here as a place to relax and discuss random topics, that doesn't mean we will allow any topic. Topics which are inflammatory, hurtful, or otherwise clash with our Mac-Forums Community Guidelines will be removed.

First Week of School....

CrimsonRequiem

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MBP 2.3 Ghz 4GB RAM 860 GB SSD, iMac 3.4 GHz Intel Core i7 32GB RAM, Fusion Drive 1TB
I don't know about you guys but my first week of school blows. They raised the tuition like 300 bucks the week before school starts.

There is not enough parking on campus. They are stacking cars in a row in between parking spaces. We have to give keys to campus security and they move our cars when someone needs to get out.

I'm not comfortable with handing over my car keys to anyone.

I'm an art major and I have to cary a lot of stuff with me to get to class. Now imagine carrying a 30 lb. oversized notepad that I can barely carry with two hands plus my bag with my notebook, books and other stuff. Plus a sketch book and my art bin, and walking for 10 minutes out in the scorching sun.

I have red marks all over my arms from trying to carry that heavy oversized notepad with one arm.

Then on top of that, it doesn't fit in our lockers, and I get to lug it back to my car because we didn't need it, because we only looked at slides for 30 minutes when the class is suppose to last 3 hrs. Now I get a 4hr break in between class with the same teacher.

I'm not a happy camper because I paid a large amount of money and I kind of expect to be learning stuff and not wasting my money and time doing nothing.

So how is school for you guys?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Sooper Fast!
The University I live next to sucks. I can't wait for school to be out. What's normally a 3-4 car wait at one of the two main 4 way stops out of town turns into 20-30 cars and is usually backed up for blocks about the time I'm getting off work. It's quicker to back track and take the bypass into town if I have to go.

They have no parking, so the kids always park everywhere else in town until they learn that they get towed. I was lucky to find a spot when I can back into town from work to pick up lunch from my friend's restuarant. Plus you're more likely to get killed walking across the street. Cars are supposed to stop for people in crosswalks and they even have signs up, but stupid kids just speed on by and don't pay any attention.

The only bonus is the new crop of freshmen girls...and I even feel like I'm getting too old to enjoy that.

As for handing my keys to some one else, no way. Not unless they provide photos of my car of before and after. If I ended up with one scratch, dent, etc... I would rip some one's head off and poop down their throat. I don't treat my material posessions like they don't matter, so I expect others to do the same.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iPod Nano 4gb, 20" 2.66 GHz Core 2 Duo, 2GB of ram, ATI HD 2600 pro
With the budget cuts, increase in price, more students per class. I havn't started school yet and I feel like its going to suck, the only plus side is that new girls and all that.

OP
CrimsonRequiem

CrimsonRequiem

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MBP 2.3 Ghz 4GB RAM 860 GB SSD, iMac 3.4 GHz Intel Core i7 32GB RAM, Fusion Drive 1TB
...The only bonus is the new crop of freshmen girls...and I even feel like I'm getting too old to enjoy that.

I would be careful with that.>_>" Kind of hard to tell if they are underage.

With the budget cuts, increase in price, more students per class. I havn't started school yet and I feel like its going to suck, the only plus side is that new girls and all that.

I don't think amount of freshman girls is going to make this semester any better. I had to put this semester's tuition on my credit card. I have been steadily making like 300 dollar payments back when I can. It's well over 2.3k for one semester, and that's not including books and art supplies. Which cost more than books.

They limited the amount of students that can be in our classes at our university. They only let as many students as there are chairs. That's about 24 for most of the classrooms. The lecture halls can seat 200 or more.

The teachers have a 9.3 % pay cut and they forced the teachers to not teach for 3 days out of the semester from what I hear. I'm not complaining but it's definitely hard times for everybody, not to mention now is a terrible time to be graduating and finding a job in my field.

I don't know about other majors, but I would imagine they aren't fairing much better either.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
I don't think amount of freshman girls is going to make this semester any better. I had to put this semester's tuition on my credit card. I have been steadily making like 300 dollar payments back when I can. It's well over 2.3k for one semester, and that's not including books and art supplies. Which cost more than books.

They limited the amount of students that can be in our classes at our university. They only let as many students as there are chairs. That's about 24 for most of the classrooms. The lecture halls can seat 200 or more.

The teachers have a 9.3 % pay cut and they forced the teachers to not teach for 3 days out of the semester from what I hear. I'm not complaining but it's definitely hard times for everybody, not to mention now is a terrible time to be graduating and finding a job in my field.

I don't know about other majors, but I would imagine they aren't fairing much better either.
As of right now I'm at a community college because I've been paying my own way for everything, once I step up to the four year to finish my degree going to need loans and all that crap. :Grimmace: Our class rooms can fit anywhere from 30 to 40 students, although my first semester there there was about 25ish students per class or so, fairly small. For lecture halls all depends on which department your in. I will see a increase of new students because of the finance problems and all that, I'll enjoy it while I can before I go completely flat broken for my major, which is computer science.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2.16GHz C2D MacBook w/ 2GB RAM & 120GB HD. HTC Droid Incredible.
I would be careful with that.>_>" Kind of hard to tell if they are underage.

If they are attending a university or a community college I'm pretty sure they are over 18. So all is available for play haha.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Black Macbook C2D 2GHz 3GB RAM 250GB HD iPhone 4 iPad 3G
If they are attending a university or a community college I'm pretty sure they are over 18. So all is available for play haha.

Not true, some freshman girls can still be 17 early in the year. Hence why I stopped looking at the freshmen when I hit 21. Three year consensual laws no longer applied :p

Fortunately, I don't face this problem with the incoming class at law school. :p

vansmith

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mini (2014, 2018, 2020), MBA (2020), iPad Pro (2018), iPhone 13 Pro Max, Watch (S6)
Not true, some freshman girls can still be 17 early in the year.
Very true. I was 18 when I entered undergrad but a lot of my floormates were still 17. I only had to wait until Christmas to turn 19 (drinking age) - they had to wait until 2nd year.

Well, I'm two weeks away from school still so it's going great! Lot's of work here. :p

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
I'm 5 days away from starting school again, and another year till I hit drinking age O:)

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Very true. I was 18 when I entered undergrad but a lot of my floormates were still 17. I only had to wait until Christmas to turn 19 (drinking age) - they had to wait until 2nd year.

Not true, some freshman girls can still be 17 early in the year. Hence why I stopped looking at the freshmen when I hit 21. Three year consensual laws no longer applied :p

Fortunately, I don't face this problem with the incoming class at law school. :p

Dang i forgot. Well at the community college here you must be at least 18 to take classes. I forgot however that they allow high school students to take college classes for credit as well. ID checking for me now!

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Black Macbook C2D 2GHz 3GB RAM 250GB HD iPhone 4 iPad 3G
Careful with that method as well, a lot of underage girls have fake IDs. This is why it's simply easier to just wait until they're sophomores ;P

T

todd51

Well for those of you still in college, I'm sure you've heard this a thousand times. Make the most of it! I recently graduated and got a job. Yea having money is nice, but every day is so routine it's insane. I miss those afternoons when I didn't have class and I would just hang out with friends. I guess it wouldn't be as bad if I still lived in the same town as my college friends, so I only have things to do on the weekends.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
White MacBook. iLife '09. iWork '09. Mac OS X 10.6
I'm in 8th grade now, YAY! My school starts Monday. I'll let you know how it goes.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Yum...glue!

Nah, just kidding. We don't do that much with glue since I'm not in the visual arts department. I'm in theater instead, can't draw very well!

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
I'm in 8th grade now, YAY! My school starts Monday. I'll let you know how it goes.
Watch out, those girls are evil all they want to do is feed you to fatten you up so you taste better when they go to eat you alive. :Oops:

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Watch out, those girls are evil all they want to do is feed you to fatten you up so you taste better when they go to eat you alive. :Oops:

Haha I think he's well aware of cooties already :p ;)

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Stopped believing in them years ago! I consider them a silly superstition. However, I generally stay clear of girls for now. They're always like "Do you have a girlfriend?". Why would I have a girlfriend when I'm 13? I think I'll wait until High School thanks!

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
I know it's like ok what are we going to do just hold hands and crap cause neither of us have a job to go out or drive somewhere.

OP
CrimsonRequiem

CrimsonRequiem

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Yum...glue!

Nah, just kidding. We don't do that much with glue since I'm not in the visual arts department. I'm in theater instead, can't draw very well!

Don't eat the glue! :)

No one eats glue. Everyone knows you sniff the glue. You eat the Paste because that's where the real taste is. :p

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.