General Questions - teeting issues

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Macbook Pro 13"
I got my 13" mac book pro around 3 weeks back - lovin it so far .. few questions - hope they could be answered here :-

1. Mac mail
a i usually create tables in excel and copy/paste them into mail. What i noticed is that mail does not allow the column border to be displayed. The only way around it was to create pdf files and attach them. So :-
- - is there a way to cut n paste tables in mail (but the table borders show)
- - is there a shortcut to mail some selected text from excel as pdf?

2. Is there an easy way to create a shortcut to MAXIMISE the windows? I did google and find it - but it mentioned about creating a script in terminal etc.. - i think i still have to learn before going into that.

3. My msn messenger keeps logging off - does anybody else have that issue?

4. Mac mail smart folders - can i create shortcut keys to go directly to the folders? I have more than 40 folders and i have to use a mouse to get to them.

5. Mac mail - when i receive a .tif file and forward it out - the receivers usually complain that they cannot "see" my attachment. The attachment is there but they cannot view or open it. Anybody else have such issues?

Thank you all for your help.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
13" MBA. 15" MBP. iPhone 4. 3G Pad 2.
1. Tables save as pdf under the File > Print menu.
You can also draw around the table with the curser after hitting command shift 4 then attach the picture that's on you desktop. (command shift 3 = screen shot)

2. Drag the window out by the bottom right corner to the size you want.
The green zoom toggle button will make a window just as big as is needed but has other attributes with other apps. (eg. mini player in iTunes)

3. MSN ~ have never used it. You could try Adium instead.

4. You can set up your own keyboard shortcuts via System Preferences > Keyboard & Mouse > Keyboard shortcuts.

5. Make sure the .tif is showing, set mail to always send 'windows friendly'.
If all else fails open in preview and save to jpeg or similar format first.

If you can get a copy of David Pogue's Missing Manual it's worth it's weight in gold:
Apple support sites are pretty good too.
Apple - Support - Switch 101
Apple - Support - Mac 101 - All Work and Play
Apple - Find Out How - Mac Basics

Best. S.

OP
H
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Macbook Pro 13"
OMG... the com/shift 3-4 was incredible... never knew that... thank you so much.

1. command shift 4 / 3
- - ok - i understand it now.
- - i can take a screen shot of the screen or a selection which is on the screen - but what if my excel sheet runs to the next page... is it possible to take a screen shot of 2 pages scrolling down... if yes, then this will be magic for me ...

2. MAXIMISE ... yes, i understand that but i was wondering if it could be made faster by giving it a shortcut. I tried it using keyboard shortcuts but i think i've still to got to learn more.. did'nt work.

3. Adium - will definitely try it out tonite. Thank you.

4. SMART FOLDERS - i could be wrong, but i think u can keyboard shortcut go to a folder only if its an actual folder. If its a SMART FOLDER, the only way to reach it is using the mouse. Have i missed anything..?

4. .tif
- - i had already set it to send "windows friendly"
- - i had tried saving it as .jpg but it does'nt give that option.

5. Thank u for the links - i'm studying them. I'm also on Scott Meyers - BEYOND THE MANUAL.. i'm going very slow ... but its definitely very helpful.

OP
H
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Macbook Pro 13"
Sorry .. but this is very important...

I just got a 1TB Time Capsule.

1. The Time Machine backup works.. but i had loads of problems setting up the wifi .. finally i gave it up and am waiting for the techincal guys from my internet provider to come and help me set it up.

2. The problem is that i have to travel and need to back up - most of my stuff is in my docs - but where do i have to look to back up my "mail", "address book", "things".

3. Is it ok if i just copy and paste my docs and the other data files to an external memory drive..?

thanks.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
13" MBA. 15" MBP. iPhone 4. 3G Pad 2.
OK when your Time Machine backup is working everything will be backed up unless you tell it otherwise.

I'm mobile so I just plug my 500 Gb portable TM drive into my MBP every few days or so. TM stays switched on so it just waits till the drive gets attached. It will complain if it's not backed up for 10 days..

You can Backup the folders under your House icon in Finder to any spare BU drive or even a reasonably large Flash drive. The user library files (under the house icon) contain the mail, address book data, preferences etc. You probably wont need to back up the pictures, music & movies every time.
Set Finder preferences (under finder on the menu bar) to show cd, dvds, ipods etc in the side bar so you can just drag the items you want to back up on to the drive. Opening two finder windows can make it easier to drag and drop. Finder > File > new window or command n.

PS ~ from 1st post.
if you want a picture of a window larger than the screen try File > Print > Save as pdf > save to desktop.
Double click any pdf to open in Preview (default) then use 'save as' to save each page in whatever format you want. You can crop any part of a graphic format page in preview. Draw the crop area with the curser > Tools crop or command k.
Save as pdf is built into your Mac under the print menu in many apps.

.Tif format. Drag the picture from the email onto your desktop > double click it to open in preview > 'Save as' any format > save to desktop > drag back into the email.
You can drag most pictures from Safari, iPhoto etc onto your desktop ~ another reason Not to use full screen :D. Most windows will open the same size as you closed them which is handy.
S.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.