Why install Linux?

Reaction score
I have a friend who runs Linux (Ubuntu) on his computer (He also runs Windows Vista on it), and I am just wondering, as I've seen people do it, why you would install (through virtualization software) both windows and Linux on your mac, as I don't see the advantages of doing so. As I see it, you already have everything you'd need when using Windows and Mac Os X. Is it just a matter of preference, one day you feel like running linux, the other day you feel like running windows Os X, or is there a real advantages with running these 3 systems? I would just like to know your opinion.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
13 MBP (mid 2009), 2.53GHz, 4GB RAM, 250GB HD. 24" Cinema Display. 32GB iphone 3gs, 32GB iPad
I run Win XP and Solaris 10 using VMWare in addition to OS X. I work in IT and need to have access to Windows and Solaris. Rather than running and maintaining 3 different machines I do it all on my MBP.

Raz0rEdge

Staff member
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2022 Mac Studio M1 Max, 2023 M2 MBA
If you're on the Mac, the only thing I can see is running Windows through a virtual machine because there's something Windows specific (IE usually) that you have to do. Other than that, there's no real advantage..

Regards

Reaction score
Well, I have XP and Ubuntu running in VM Ware virtual machines on my Macbook. I like Ubuntu a lot, mostly I just use it for fun. My son likes the games ... lol But I like working with the command line too - I used to do that a lot back in the old MS-DOS days and I think Linux provides a nice mix of a great user interface, a well-built and packaged standalone system (in the case of Ubuntu), and a powerful set of tools if you want to wander off the reservation a bit. But to be honest, it's mostly just recreational for me. I guess I need to get out more ... :)

Cheers

OP
P
Reaction score
Before I had my mac, I used to install Ubuntu on external hard drives, for fun and try to make them working. You're not the only one who needs to get out more.:D

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBookAir5,2:10.13.6-iMac18,3:10.13.6-iPhone9,3:11.4.1
WinXP here for the obvious work/office stuff, SUSE for working with AIX and mainframe, and OS X for personal stuff. It takes a chunk of space on the MBP disk, but it's better than carrying around 3 boxes.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
White MacBook. iLife '09. iWork '09. Mac OS X 10.6
Some developers do it. My dad has a friend who runs Linux, OS/2 Warp (yeah, seriously!), Windows, and Mac OS X, although I'm not sure if he does it all on one computer. I've tried to do it, just because I wanted to play around with Linux, however I keep having install problems.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.