• Welcome to the Off-Topic/Schweb's Lounge

In addition to the Mac-Forums Community Guidelines, there are a few things you should pay attention to while in The Lounge.

Lounge Rules
    • If your post belongs in a different forum, please post it there.
    • While this area is for off-topic conversations, that doesn't mean that every conversation will be permitted. The moderators will, at their sole discretion, close or delete any threads which do not serve a beneficial purpose to the community.

Understand that while The Lounge is here as a place to relax and discuss random topics, that doesn't mean we will allow any topic. Topics which are inflammatory, hurtful, or otherwise clash with our Mac-Forums Community Guidelines will be removed.

RIP my new MacBook Pro

Reaction score
A couple of nights ago, I was riding the bus over to Wal-Mart late at night and I was having a very nice conversation with one of my friends before I left the house, so I was continuing it on the way to Wal-Mart. However, before I got to Colfax & Pierce (we were just far enough along for us to be in Lakewood), someone looked as though he was just walking normally off of the bus, and then he snatched my laptop and bolted out of the door.

The thief was given chase by one of the other passengers. I heard from the other passenger that the thief was assaulted by him and my laptop was returned to me. The problem? He threw my MacBook Pro and completely cracked my screen. (See: 0823090432.jpg on Flickr - Photo Sharing! ) Lakewood police took forever responding and took down a police report. I am still trying to get in touch with my renters insurance agent.

Lessons learned?
- Next time, I am buying a desktop
- I shoulda left it at home because of the area of town I was in/going to
- I should not be using expensive stuff out in the open when riding the bus.
- I should not sit next to the door while carrying/using expensive stuff
- I should have purchased a rider on my renter's insurance that would have covered this.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15.4" MBP Sep 09, 2.66Ghz C2D, 4Gb Ram, 320Gb HDD 7200rpm, 10.6.x / iPod Touch 8Gb
Sorry to hear, hope it all gets sorted with no cost to you!

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2018 15" MBP, 2019 11" iPad Pro, iPhone 11 Pro
Oh man, that sucks! Notebook carrying case/bag would be helpful, too. At least you can have the shoulder strap around you so it's harder to steal.
Hope the insurance covers it.
Did you try calling Applecare??

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iPod Nano 4gb, 20" 2.66 GHz Core 2 Duo, 2GB of ram, ATI HD 2600 pro
I'm sorry to hear that, and I hope that it is covered. Also I would suggest a bag/backback for it , I'm pretty sure that you will baby it for a nice long time.

Hope for the best.

CrimsonRequiem

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MBP 2.3 Ghz 4GB RAM 860 GB SSD, iMac 3.4 GHz Intel Core i7 32GB RAM, Fusion Drive 1TB
Was it sitting next to you, or where you actually using it at the time?

That's kind of like leaving your purse or wallet out in the open...>_>"

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook Pro 15", 2.8Ghz, 4GB RAM, 500GB/ 60GB 5G iPod/ 160GB 6G iPod/ 8GB Nano/ 32GB 2nd Gen iTouch
At least the thief got his a** beat....I would've done much worse.

CrimsonRequiem

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MBP 2.3 Ghz 4GB RAM 860 GB SSD, iMac 3.4 GHz Intel Core i7 32GB RAM, Fusion Drive 1TB
At least the thief got his a** beat....I would've done much worse.

Yeah then the thief would probably sue you. >_>"

dtravis7

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacMini M-1 MacOS Monterey, iMac 2010 27"Quad I7 , MBPLate2011, iPad Pro10.5", iPhoneSE
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15.4" uMBP: iPhone 4
Im sorry to hear that.

Our machines are the most desirable on the market today. You should have seen how many emails I had from Ebay when selling a 13" MBP with 4GB of RAM and a 320GB HDD, one even wanted to swap his car for it!

So in other words, a thief who spotted one on a bus that a young lady was carrying would not think twice about snatching it.

Sad world we live in.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
In todays world somehow I would not doubt that at all! Sad but true! :D
Yeah here is cali, there has been two cases where the thief sued for lost wages because both his legs were broken by the home owner.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2.8Ghz MBP
Yeah here is cali, there has been two cases where the thief sued for lost wages because both his legs were broken by the home owner.

How much does a thief make that he can claim lost wages on it?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
If I can remember right one of them claimed over 5,000 per month.

Reaction score

Actually many many...many cases of crooks suing the victim and/or the good Samaritan. The tort laws desperately need to be changed, but alas that would be like taking food out of the mouths of attorney's babies...

cwa107

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
14" MacBook Pro M1 Pro, 16GB RAM, 1TB SSD
Sorry to hear about your conundrum. Fortunately, a screen repair is not terribly expensive, depending on what route you take to have it done. Is the casing damaged as well?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iBook G3 - You'll be missed.
Ouch. I am very sorry to hear this! I assume you had the MacBook Pro out in the open? I recently had my MacBook Pro stolen as well, well a couple months a go. I was able to get it back and everything was intact, but it's still a very scary and I'll admit, sucky situation. I hope you can get your MacBook repaired, hopefully it'll be covered so you don't have to pay for it. I would suggest purchasing a laptop bag of some sort or carrying it in a bag so it won't be so obvious that you have a computer next time.

I recently picked up the Speck corepack (black) off of ebay for 22 dollars. I absolutely love it. Speck | CorePack Messenger Bag Notebook Bag for Notebooks (up to 15") Like I said, I would definitely invest in some kind of a bag if you can.

Good luck! I hope you get it sorted out. You'll have to keep us updated.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook Pro 15", 2.8Ghz, 4GB RAM, 500GB/ 60GB 5G iPod/ 160GB 6G iPod/ 8GB Nano/ 32GB 2nd Gen iTouch

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.