May be switching

Reaction score
I'm on the fence. I have always liked the Mac hardware, I was an early adopter, had a Mac Plus back in 1988 running minicad on a massive ($400) 30 meg hard drive (upgraded after getting tired of swapping floppys). But work software required I go PC, and I haven't touched a Mac until my sister recently bought a macbook pro 13. Sweet machine, and from my reading here, it seems that I can run windows, using BootCamp, with no compromises to performance. That is where I need some convincing. There has to be a hitch. Driver issues, printing problems, weird network issues. Or does it really just work? I am one of those people who have had zero problems with Windows Vista 64 runing on a quad core processor and 8 gigs of ram. It just works also, never one crash in over a year. But my Dell laptop died, I need a replacement, and am considering the 13" macbook pro. If I can indeed fire up windows, without a headache, to get to photoshop for some on the road editing, then I may go with the macbook. Like the hardware, not sure about the OS yet, but am willing to give it a go.
As an aside, does anyone know when the macbook will be shipping with snow leopard so I don't have to immediately do an OS upgrade?

dtravis7

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacMini M-1 MacOS Monterey, iMac 2010 27"Quad I7 , MBPLate2011, iPad Pro10.5", iPhoneSE
If you install Windows correctly and use the drivers Apple provides on the OSX DVD, Windows will run like it does on any hardware with the same specs.

I would tell you that Photoshop is available for OSX also but if you own the Windows version, you might just want to use that as PS is not cheap! :D

OP
S
Reaction score
I believe that Adobe allows a one time platform switch for photoshop PC > Mac, and I may do that down the road if all works out with the mac and I am convinced it is better. But for now, I have a lot of software for the PC, and want the option to use it. I use dreamweaver for website design, and don't want to be buying that licence over again.

dtravis7

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacMini M-1 MacOS Monterey, iMac 2010 27"Quad I7 , MBPLate2011, iPad Pro10.5", iPhoneSE
Yes, Adobe at least did have that option. I have a friend who used it in fact.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15.4" MBP Sep 09, 2.66Ghz C2D, 4Gb Ram, 320Gb HDD 7200rpm, 10.6.x / iPod Touch 8Gb
I was like you once, a serious Windows user.
Switching is flawless and yes drivers are mostly built in unlike hours of searching manufacture support sites for xp / vista drivers.

Printers work a charm and wireless and networking just work.
Active Directory also works but is not perfect if using this in a AD environment.

OP
S
Reaction score
Any idea when the macbooks will start shipping with snow leopard? I see the OS will be available on the 28th. Same day?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
white MacBook - 2.16GHz, 2GB RAM, 500GB HD iPhone Specs: white 3GS - 32GB
Any idea when the macbooks will start shipping with snow leopard? I see the OS will be available on the 28th. Same day?
I'd assume so. To be safe, you can just buy it the following week then.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac Mini Core i7 2012 | White 2009 MacBook 2 Ghz | 733 Mhz G4 Quicksilver
I would tell you that Photoshop is available for OSX also but if you own the Windows version, you might just want to use that as PS is not cheap! :D

Indeed Adobe lets you cross grade, I haven't done it myself but I believe the cost is minimal

Adobe will allow you to perform a cross-grade, or cross-platform upgrade, of your Adobe product, assuming it meets the upgrade qualifications and provided you send them a signed Letter of Software Destruction. The Letter of Destruction states that you agree to delete all copies of the product you are exchanging and also that you will not "sell, transfer, give away, donate, or otherwise distribute the exchanged Adobe product or copies to anyone else."

You will still need to pay the upgrade cost, and you will need to conduct the purchase via telephone by calling Adobe Sales at 1-800-833-6687 (see Adobe.com for international numbers). The Letter of Software Destruction may be faxed, e-mailed, or snail-mailed to Adobe.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Model Identifier: iMac9,1 Processor Name: Intel Core 2 Duo Processor Speed: 2.66 GHz
Boot Camp vs the alternatives

After you've switched I suggest you forget about using Windows under Boot Camp - get a copy of VMFusion instead. That creates a virtual Windows machine and you can simple put it in a different 'space' - see Mac 101: Using Spaces to organize your windows and applications in Leopard and simply switch from Windows to OS X with a key press. VMFusion also has a 'unity' setting, which means that your Windows apps will appear on the dock just as though they were OSX applications. All very much smoother than using Boot Camp - check out the discussion lists and you'll find people having a bit of trouble with Boot Camp.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
White MacBook. iLife '09. iWork '09. Mac OS X 10.6
You can also use VirtualBox, which is a FREE solution for the same thing. I think it's easier than booting into another partition. I know some people think it's not as good, but unless you're doing hard core gaming, I'd say a virtual OS will do fine.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2 MacPros, 1 MacBook Pro
If I can indeed fire up windows, without a headache, to get to photoshop for some on the road editing, then I may go with the macbook.

One of my Photographers finally made the switched . . .called up Adobe, agreed to destroy his Windows version of Photoshop and Adobe mailed him a Mac version for the cost of postage.

You'll LOVE Photoshop on a Mac . . .it was originally designed to run on a Mac and you'll certainly see a difference.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.