Windows VM backup

Reaction score
dumb question - when time machine does a backup, does it automatically back up vm partition as well? if not, how do i backup the vm side? can i have it write to time capsule where time machine backs up mac side to? thanks

vansmith

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mini (2014, 2018, 2020), MBA (2020), iPad Pro (2018), iPhone 13 Pro Max, Watch (S6)
The VM HD is simply a file. For instance, I use Virtualbox and the HD for my Debian Virtual Machine is located at ~/Library/Virtualbox/DebianTesting.vdi and it's just more than 5GB. What virtualization product do you use?

You should find a different way of backing them up IMHO because as you will learn, any slight change to the the VM will cause it to be backed up again. In other words, if I changed the wallpaper in my VM right now and nothing else, the 5GB VM would have to be backed up in its entirety, which would take a while and take up more space.

OP
margaret438
Reaction score
i use parallels, but honestly not sure how it works - i had a difficult time putting it on (user error prolly), but its on and i can get into IE (work requirement) and use the windows products i need.

it/parallels does do this 'snapshot' thing and i think i have it set for a total of 25 snapshots before overwriting the oldest ones. i wonder/wish it worked like time machine where i could just go in and bring back a specific file like time machine. that got me wondering if time machine did a backup of the vm side. my tinkering days on a computer are over, but i'd like to make sure my stuff is backedup since i've had pcs stolen, replaced hard disks - all without a backup.

thanks so much.

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
Why 25 snapshots? Each one is taking up considerable space and it would seem to me that the latest iteration of the VM is the one you would need to keep and restore.

As Van has said, Time Machine will make a backup of the VM file and keep making backups if it changes. If that's OK with you and space on your external hard drive is not a problem, continue with that method.

Regards.

OP
margaret438
Reaction score
Why 25 snapshots?...because i'm an idiot and i've lost soooo much data over the last 24 months. my livelihood resides in the computer. i'll prolly change it once i get more comfortable with vm stuff.

can u 'restore' vm data using time machine like you can on the mac side?

thanks

vansmith

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mini (2014, 2018, 2020), MBA (2020), iPad Pro (2018), iPhone 13 Pro Max, Watch (S6)
Yes, you can restore it because, as I mentioned earlier, the "hard drive" for a virtual machine is simply a file/set of files. As long as the directory where the VMs are stored is included in your TM backup, you should be fine.

OP
margaret438
Reaction score
trying to figure this out, i 'think' i discovered that parallel tools was not installed (now it is)

how do i check if vm files are being backed up by tm? thanks

vansmith

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
TM backs up everything unless you explicitly exclude a directory in System Preferences > Time Machine > Options > "Do not back up". For instance, I have explicitly excluded my VM directory simply because of the size.

OP
margaret438
Reaction score
what software exists that permit me to clone a copy of my vm partition?

i'd like to just be able to go into this cloned backup and pick off a document to restore. (like time machine). i don't want to only have the option of doing a total restore.

thanks anyone.

vansmith

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
According to this thread on the Parallels forums, they are either in ~/Documents/Parallels or ~/Library/parallels/<vm name> (~ is shorthand for your home directory). Have you checked these directories?

OP
margaret438
Reaction score
yep vansmith...there's a parallels folder, but they're empty (nothing, nada). i've been to their forums more times than i care to remember and posted several times, but either no response from mods or the same answers. i'm kinda worried if i need to restore my work data. my windows laptop, still in repair, just had hdd replaced...no backup. i'll never earn a living this way...just frustrated

p.s. vansmith, can't get your snow leopard compatibility link in siggy to work.

vansmith

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
After a quick search, I have discovered that Paralells virtual HDs are files with the HDD extension (second result). With that, we can begin a search. Open up Terminal (/Application/Utilities), type in the following and press enter:
Code:
sudo find / -name *.hdd
Enter your password and wait (it might take a while). Essentially, the command I gave you searches your whole computer for any file with the hdd extension. What does this command print to the Terminal?

There might be an easier way to find the location within Parallels itself but since I don't use Parallels, I'm doing this the way I'm comfortable with.

OP
margaret438
Reaction score
this is what i get returned.... doesn't sound good.

find: /private/tmp/7669/C/System Volume Information: No such file or directory

spoke too soon
/Users/margaret/.Trash/Windows XP (1) 20-25-49.pvm/harddisk0.hdd
/Users/margaret/.Trash/Windows XP (1) 20-25-49.pvm/harddisk0.hdd/harddisk0.hdd
/Users/margaret/.Trash/Windows XP (2).pvm/harddisk0.hdd
/Users/margaret/.Trash/Windows XP (2).pvm/harddisk0.hdd/harddisk0.hdd
/Users/margaret/Documents/Parallels/Windows XP (3).pvm/Windows XP-0.hdd
/Users/margaret/Documents/Parallels/Windows XP (3).pvm/Windows XP-0.hdd/Windows XP-0.hdd
/Users/margaretspicer/.Trash/Parallels/Windows XP (3).pvm/Windows XP-0.hdd
/Users/margaretspicer/.Trash/Parallels/Windows XP (3).pvm/Windows XP-0.hdd/Windows XP-0.hdd

ok, i only use the XP (3).pvm...--deleted those others that happened during install. when i go into docs/parallels/windows xp (3).pvm and do a quick look - it only shows it's running. no files.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.