• Welcome to the Off-Topic/Schweb's Lounge

In addition to the Mac-Forums Community Guidelines, there are a few things you should pay attention to while in The Lounge.

Lounge Rules
    • If your post belongs in a different forum, please post it there.
    • While this area is for off-topic conversations, that doesn't mean that every conversation will be permitted. The moderators will, at their sole discretion, close or delete any threads which do not serve a beneficial purpose to the community.

Understand that while The Lounge is here as a place to relax and discuss random topics, that doesn't mean we will allow any topic. Topics which are inflammatory, hurtful, or otherwise clash with our Mac-Forums Community Guidelines will be removed.

Just an angry customer wanting to rant!

Reaction score
Argh...I took my Macbook pro to my local apple store last Friday for a keyboard repair, I asked them how long it would take and they said its a quick job and usually can be done within a day however they were sort of stuff so expect a call tomorrow, and on the sheet they gave me it says '1-3 days' so that put my mac in as I thought it would be quick...sadly, they lied. Saturday came and went, Sunday did too..and so did Monday...the 3rd or 4th day depends how you look at it. I rang them tuesday and they informed me that they were waiting for a part a 'Tracking device' (The touch pad which I had no idea counted as the keyboard)

I waited to Thursday and rang them again they informed me they were still waiting for the part and when they had it it was a quick job.I ask how long it would take to arrive and guess what? The part 'just came in', this was about 1pm Thursday. Thursday came and went with no phone call, I was up near the store yesterday so I popped in and ask if it was finished, they told me they are working on it today and it should be finished by the evening..no phone call so I called them today and what do they say? 'We're working on it today and it should be finished today'...I mean..***!! Its been 3 days since you had the part you needed..OVER A WEEK since I brought it to them so now I'm just very angry having to wait a week for my keyboard repair when I was told it was a quick job, if it was something more serious then I would not be so annoyed at them but its not!

I must sound very spoiled but I needed to rant!

Anyone else experienced there laziness?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
20" iMac 2.66 GHz... Running 10.5.7
Looks like someone needs some patience. Your computer isn't the only one they have to repair. Yours was put into a queue to be repaired. Never take the "1-3 days" seriously. Your MBP is no more important than everyone else's computer.

You might have had a problem with not only your keyboard but your trackpad too. I very highly doubt they'd order a part and put it in all for no reason. They have other computers to take care of, and why would they waste time fixing something that doesn't need it?

So perhaps, it is just you who is lazy, having not figured that out.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2.16GHz C2D MacBook w/ 2GB RAM & 120GB HD. HTC Droid Incredible.
I had my keyboard replaced and they had to replace the whole top including the trackpad.

I will give you credit though that they should have checked if they had all the parts in stock before saying it should only be a day thing.

vansmith

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mini (2014, 2018, 2020), MBA (2020), iPad Pro (2018), iPhone 13 Pro Max, Watch (S6)
Argh...I took my Macbook pro to my local apple store last Friday for a keyboard repair, I asked them how long it would take and they said its a quick job and usually can be done within a day however they were sort of stuff so expect a call tomorrow, and on the sheet they gave me it says '1-3 days' so that put my mac in as I thought it would be quick...sadly, they lied.
They didn't lie. No repair shop can guarantee that something will be done exactly when they say it will because of extraneous circumstances such as depending on the shipment of another part. Like Eric559 though, I do agree that they should have been aware of what they had in terms of inventory for replacement parts.

bobtomay

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15" MBP '06 2.33 C2D 4GB 10.7; 13" MBA '14 1.8 i7 8GB 10.11; 21" iMac '13 2.9 i5 8GB 10.11; 6S
If that was my only computer, and the counter person that took it told me one day, I'd be pretty frustrated and upset a week later also. Wouldn't really care about the "what they should have done and said". I might calm down a week or so after I finally do get it back.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
nMP 6-core/32Gb/D700/512Gb: rMBP 15" 2.3GHz/16Gb/512Gb: iPhone 6 128Gb: iPad Air 2 128Gb: NEC PA322U
Couldn't have put it better bobtomay. :)

Hope you get the MBP back soon, I hate waiting on things!!!

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Black Macbook C2D 2GHz 3GB RAM 250GB HD iPhone 4 iPad 3G
Well actually, a top panel replacement really is a quick job. I took mine in just last week and it literally took them 15 minutes to repair and this is an Apple Store that sees a lot of traffic, especially at the Genius Bar (I had to wait even though I had an appointment, it was that busy).

The fact that you had to wait over a week for what is essentially a simple swap, yea I'd be wanting to rant too.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2018 15" MBP, 2019 11" iPad Pro, iPhone 11 Pro
Sorry to hear about your frustration. But I don't think they were being "lazy". It's still upsetting, though. I can understand that.

I had just the opposite experience at my local store a couple weeks ago when I needed one of the keys replaced on my MBP. I was in the area, didn't have an appointment but decided to pop in anyways and ask. One of the Geniuses in the back had a minute between appointments or whatever and popped the new key on in less than 2 minutes. I was thrilled!

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15.4" uMBP: iPhone 4
I have not had any experience with any support the Apple store has to offer, but I do not like going there.

The staff are too laid back, they all look like students and are too busy laughing and playing around to even serve someone!

I had well over £1000+ burning a hole in my pocket and I was left standing there with my other half looking around in dismay whilst my store assistant floated around to a girl and decided to joke and chat to her for the next 15 mins. He kept popping over to me saying 'I wont be long!' before wandering back over.

If I wasn't adamant that I was not going home without a MBP then I would have walked out never to return again!

The Apple store is full of 18 year old students who use the place as an internet cafe/social meeting place taking up all the free 'demo' machines to update their status or post some tweets. So when there are customers like me who actually have some money in their bank accounts with the intent to purchase some equipment it reflects badly on the store itself.

Sort it out Apple!!!!!!

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook Pro Retina 13", iMac G4, eMac G4, PowerMac G5, iBook G3, Mac Mini G4, iPod Classic, iPadAir2
I visited the Genius Bar once for a battery fault on my old MacBook. It wouldn't charge at all, and if I had the laptop on my lap, I'd sometimes knock the power cable out and lose everything. Went there, they said I needed a new battery which could be done under warranty, but they had none in stock. 3 days until they get any stock in. Two weeks later, they finally call me to say it's in stock. :(

That was at Bluewater, but admittedly, I've been there a few times since and had no problems. I took it in for a top panel and hard drive replacement as an airport x-ray machine somehow screwed up the keyboard, trackpad and hard drive. They were done within a day, even though they'd said 5 working days. :)

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
17" MBP C2D 2.8 4GB OS X 10.8 | iPhone 5
Here's what I paid attention to through this whole thing...

... so I called them today and what do they say?...

I do not like green eggs and ham, I do not like them Sam I am.

CrimsonRequiem

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MBP 2.3 Ghz 4GB RAM 860 GB SSD, iMac 3.4 GHz Intel Core i7 32GB RAM, Fusion Drive 1TB
Humm I wonder if that's actually 3 days or 3 business days because there is a big difference.

vansmith

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mini (2014, 2018, 2020), MBA (2020), iPad Pro (2018), iPhone 13 Pro Max, Watch (S6)
Humm I wonder if that's actually 3 days or 3 business days because there is a big difference.
Probably business days because of shipping schedules.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook Pro 15", 2.8Ghz, 4GB RAM, 500GB/ 60GB 5G iPod/ 160GB 6G iPod/ 8GB Nano/ 32GB 2nd Gen iTouch
Look on the bright side. You actually got to talk to someone in this country, face to face without having to be transferred on the phone to various parts of the world. Waiting for a week or so is worth it to me.

Reaction score
Yeah, really, if you look at the benifits, it's good that you are a Mac owner, i just bought my Mac yesterday, and I love it... Here's the info i based my purchase on:

Wich is better mac or pc?

PC = BAD 'n Unstable!

E

eddy-pizzle

try and see the positive side of things while you are strapped of technology. go camping or roam in a sunny meadow... breathe that deep air.. ahhhhh :)

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
13.3" Macbook Pro, 2.53gHz, 4GB mem, 250GB HD; 13.3" Macbook (White), 2gHz, 2GB mem, 120GB HD
I have had a few situations where I had to have parts on my Mac replaced and have had different experiences. When I had to have my optical drive replaced (twice, actually) they had my mac for a week which sucked but they can't fix your computer unless they have the parts and sometimes the parts take time but usually not more than a day or two for them to come in stock. Once, I actually had to have my hand rest replaced because it cracked and I refused to leave the computer with them while they waited for the part to come in, so I had them order the part and I told them to call me when they had it so I could drop it off. They didn't really have a problem with that, I just said I couldn't be without the computer for longer than was necessary. Then again, my Mac was still usable, but I suppose in the case that something major was broken, you would just have to live without the computer for a few days. It sucks, but that's the way it is, and at least Apple's repairs are quick compared to everyone else. I had a PC once that was gone for 3 weeks while they fixed the screen-- I can live without my Mac for a week if necessary!

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15 Inch MacBook Pro. 2.4 GHz. 2GB RAM. 250GB Hardrive.
Look on the bright side. You actually got to talk to someone in this country, face to face without having to be transferred on the phone to various parts of the world. Waiting for a week or so is worth it to me.

This is completely correct. At least you get to deal with support members face to face. And as for shipping/repair deadlines, never take them seriously. My rule is, for every day they say will have it finished add half a day. 3 days x 0.5= 1.5....3 plus 1.5= 4.5. Therefore roughly 5 days would be a better estimation as to when you should have gotten your Mac.

Reaction score
When my iPod touch failed to sync after erasing itself when I did try to connect back to my PC one time (about three weeks after I got the iPod) I was a bit furious. "It's brand new!" I said. "Why did this happen?". I go to my Apple Store, and wait in line, finally getting answered, and then being told to wait by the iPod bar..three minutes..five minutes..ten minutes..finally, the Genius dude (who was extremely awkward to me) plugs it in to the MacBook where he is standing, and voila! It synced! (Which that experience made me want a Mac right then and there). I can honestly say..it may be a pain to wait, but it is worth it in the end because 1) Apple products (IMO) are supreme, and 2) When a problem does arise, you get depressed about it..so it's a thrill when it works again (versus when you feel a little adamant about getting a PC fixed.."is it really worth it?" one would ask).

If I start working at my Apple Store, believe me, some of us 18 year olds actually act responsible in a work environment.
Example 1: The Socializer: "OMG! I have a really cool job at Apple!" (gets on demo computer) Facebook status: "OMG..I just got hired today at Apple! Like so totally cool!"

Example 2: The Hard Worker: "Sweet! I've got a job now. Okay..time to face reality, and get to work." (person thinking to themselves) "Oh hi! Welcome to the Apple Store! So what seems to be the problem? Oh? Okay, just wait a few minutes, and I'll see what I can do!"

The Socializer thinks working at the Apple store is cool, but thinks nothing more of it, and lives in the moment so to speak, without actually doing anything. I guess you could he/she is lazy. The Hard Worker on the other hand however, thinks it is also cool, but, tried hard to get the job in the first place, and accepts it, and then moves on to do what they are expected to be doing: working. The Socializer probably worked just as hard for that job, but in the end, takes a break from it all just to do whatever they want. The Socializer fits about 70% of 18 year olds that I have met, while the Hard Worker fits about 30% (sometimes more) of the 18 year olds I have met, and me as well. I fought my way in for that job, and I will take it as I need it, instead of relaxing and doing whatever. Does anyone see where I'm getting at? I'm trying to make sense! :p

Anyways..

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.