Bootcamp windows 7

Reaction score
So, I just got my new Macbook Pro and need to have windows installed on it next week and virtualisation isn't allowed, (strange univeristy demands). Anyway, the problem is that they prefer you to have XP installed, (although no-one is going to have it, everyone has a dell laptop with vista) and I read that windows 7 will have xp compatibility options so I thought it might be a wise choice to use the beta key version of windows 7 I still have to install windows 7 on it and buy the real version when it is released in a few months. Anyway, I wanted to know if bootcamp works with windows 7 and if there have been any problems with the fact that it is a free version of windows 7 you are installing and if people know how you will have to "update" the free version to the full paid for version when it comes out.

Thanks!

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook Pro 15" (2009) -2.8GHz Intel Core 2 Duo -iPhone 3G
hey unfortunately I dont have an answer for you, but I'm wondering the exact same thing, so if you find out update here so I can know too :)

OP
P
Reaction score
hey unfortunately I dont have an answer for you, but I'm wondering the exact same thing, so if you find out update here so I can know too :)

Sure, I will.

My university is really being very vague about the laptop I need for first year Biology AND demands that everybody can show a laptop fulfilling all the requirements on 1 september or face a rather high fine. They give no clear information about what programs you will need to run on the laptop or what those requirements really are, they just say "it has to run windows", but when I asked they said virtualization wasn't okay, without any clear answer why not (I'm doubting whether that person actually knew what I was talking about). I've send multiple e-mails asking for clarification. It really annoys be when universities don't give clear information when you, as a student, are about to make rather expensive purchaces....

I bought this Macbook mainly for my personal hobbies (drawing, webdesign etc).

Reaction score
Bootcamp will work with Win 7 and yes, you'll have to pay for the upgrade when it comes out. Good luck!

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Macbook Pro 13"
Windows 7 will run on your MBP. You can install the 32 bit or 64 bit (your choice).

One issue is that if you want to get windows 7, you can't buy an upgrade unless you have windows XP or Vista already on your computer (not windows 7).

If you want the "real" windows 7, you have to buy the full version, not the upgrade.

On a good note, the Beta works until March or so of 2010, so you have plenty of time to get ahold of widows.

OP
P
Reaction score
I see, so if I understand correctly, I can now choose to either buy a version of windows vista now (and install in on my MBP) and later, when it is relased, buy an update to windows 7 OR install the beta of windows 7 now and upgrade it later to the "real" version by buying the real version when it is released as the beta will eventually be unusable?

bobtomay

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15" MBP '06 2.33 C2D 4GB 10.7; 13" MBA '14 1.8 i7 8GB 10.11; 21" iMac '13 2.9 i5 8GB 10.11; 6S
I see, so if I understand correctly, I can now choose to either buy a version of windows vista now (and install in on my MBP) and later, when it is relased, buy an update to windows 7 OR install the beta of windows 7 now and upgrade it later to the "real" version by buying the real version when it is released as the beta will eventually be unusable?

From my understanding - if you use the Win7 beta as your only Win OS, you will not be able to "upgrade" with the Win7 retail version. It will require a fresh install of the OS.

Yeah, I know it bites. But I'm doing it on my HTPC right now. This will allow me time to get it set up like I want, learn the OS a little (since I bypassed Vista). At least I'll be able to reinstall and have everything back up and running in one day instead of spending a week or more getting it tweaked after it's release.

OP
P
Reaction score
I see. If that's the case, I'll just buy a copy of vista, vista isn't that bad.

cwa107

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
14" MacBook Pro M1 Pro, 16GB RAM, 1TB SSD
Just a point of clarification. The XP compatibility mode is only built into Business and Ultimate Editions of Windows 7. Also, in this way, XP is run within Microsoft's own virtualization (Virtual PC). So if virtualization is prohibited, this would not be the right solution for you.

Better just to get Windows XP and install that via Boot Camp.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.