Mail

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Retina Macbook Pro 2014 model, 2.6 Ghz Core i5, 8 GB Ram and 256 GB SSD
Hello everyone,

I was planning to manage my gmail account in the mail software. I was wondering if my mails would be labelled in the software the same way as they are labelled on the website of gmail. Furthermore, is it better to use gmail account with the mail software or should I continue using it on the website?

I'd highly appreciate your help.

Thank you.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
3.4 Ghz i7 MacBook Pro (2015), iPad Pro (2014), iPhone Xs Max. Apple TV 4K
I'm not sure what labeling you are speaking of, but I use my Gmail through Mail and I've had no probs. I go to the web site occasionally just to delete all the SPAM than never makes it to me.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
alMB, 2.0C2D, 2GB, 500GB, SD, etc
Yes, Mail treats Gmail messages as "normal" email messages...nothing changes (labeling or otherwise).
Whatever you prefer. Personally, I prefer to have it go to Mail; I don't have to open Safari and go to the website.

Reaction score
Your labels would automatically show up in your folder list on the left hand side. You won't be able to see the labels directly in your inbox as you do on the gmail site, but if you go to the labels, all the messages you label will show up in the appropriate folder - i.e All mail, Spam, Starred, Sent mail, "Personal folder 1", "Personal folder 2", and so on.

Hope this helps!

Reaction score
if by some chance, you add another email address to Mail, it will also have same file folder labels as if viewing from original mailbox. an additional field, on far right will denote which email box it came from. i no longer login to my accounts -- all comes into Mail.

OP
M
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
I downloaded all the messages. It shows my conversations as sent messages in inbox as well. Thats pretty annoying :-S

If I want to delete a message in my mail, will it also be deleted in the gmail inbox or not. This is pretty confusing actually.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
3.4 Ghz i7 MacBook Pro (2015), iPad Pro (2014), iPhone Xs Max. Apple TV 4K
If I want to delete a message in my mail, will it also be deleted in the gmail inbox or not. This is pretty confusing actually.

In Mail, go to Prefs, go to your GMail account and go to the Advanced tab. There are options for when the mail will be removed from the server, set it as you desire. I have all of mine set to delete the mail from the server as soon as it is downloaded to my desktop Mac.

Reaction score
if by some chance, you add another email address to Mail, it will also have same file folder labels as if viewing from original mailbox. an additional field, on far right will denote which email box it came from. i no longer login to my accounts -- all comes into Mail.

In Mail, go to Prefs, go to your GMail account and go to the Advanced tab. There are options for when the mail will be removed from the server, set it as you desire. I have all of mine set to delete the mail from the server as soon as it is downloaded to my desktop Mac.

All good pieces of advice.

You can also find the actual set up instructions Here which will guarantee you have everything set up right (These settings are for IMAP), and you can find the recommended settings for Gmail Here.

:)

Reaction score
I have just started using Mail with two different email addresses set up in Mail. My question is, if my Mac is left on, does anyone have acess to my emails if all they need to do is go to Mail on the dock? If so, is there a way to prevent this?

bobtomay

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15" MBP '06 2.33 C2D 4GB 10.7; 13" MBA '14 1.8 i7 8GB 10.11; 21" iMac '13 2.9 i5 8GB 10.11; 6S
Log out when you're not on the computer and use separate log ins for each user of the machine.

OP
M
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
It doesn't have separate labels which I have for my work, college, health and fitness, bills and all that so I guess I'll stick to the website version. Thank you again guys for your help and support.

OP
M
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Oh now its working. I was doing it using the pop option. I used the IMAP one and all my labels have been downloaded and my mail in the right order. Thank you so much guys for your help especially macpwns :)

OP
M
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Some more questions...

I deleted all the mails in my trash gmail folder in mail which had been downloaded on my mac. The same mails are still in the trash on the server. Now I am very confused as to if I delete mail in the all mail or sent items, will it be also deleted in the server or not and what about the trash and spam folders? I went to the settings but got confused so could anyone please explain that to me comprehensively. I'd highly appreciate that.

Reaction score
Whatever you delete on the gmail site will reflect in the Mail app. I would suggest deleting all of the mail you want to get rid of on the gmail site, then right click on your GMAIL folder in Mail, click Synchronize, and it will automatically delete all the mail in the Mail app.

Going forward, whatever you delete in the Mail app will go into your trash folder. If you wish to empty the trash to reflect both in the Mail app, and on the gmail site, go to your trash (or sent items folder, whatever you're trying to get rid of), Select all the messages, and then delete. It will take some time, but the Mail app will take control, and will delete all the messages on the gmail site as well.

I hope that made sense.

Edit: I would also suggest setting up a spam filter so all of your spam automatically gets deleted. You have to set it up on the gmail site (Server) for it to take effect. I would recommend quitting the Mail app when setting this up. Once you're done, you can start the Mail app, and the settings will automatically take place.

1. Go to settings in Gmail
2. Go to "Filters", then "Create new filter"
3. In the "Has words" Section, put in "is:spam"
4. Click on "Next step"
5. Check off "Skip the Inbox (Archive it)", "Mark as read", and "Delete it"
6. Click on "Create/update filter"

This will automatically recognize any kind of spam email and automatically trash it. I have it set on my account and there have never been any problems with it. It is actually very smart, and I have yet to find an actual email that was intended for me to get misplaced, or a spam email get through.

OP
M
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
When I write "is:spam", this is the warning that I get? Should I continue to the next step or is there some problem?

Warning: Filter searches containing "label:", "in:", or "is:" criteria are not recommended, as these criteria will never match incoming mail.

Do you still wish to continue to the next step?

Reaction score
yeah its not a regular type of filter. Just go ahead and continue. You'll notice once you have the filter set up your spam will be gone.

It should look like this when you're done.....(view attached)

Picture 2.png

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iMac 24" 4Gb RAM, 1Tb Time Capsule. iPhone 3GS, Macbook
Macpwns, thanks for the gmail filter advice.

OP
M
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Thank you so much macpwns for your tremendous help throughout. That was surely very kind of you :)

OP
M
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
One more thing...

If I delete a mail in my inbox then it is still there in my All Mail (Gmail) and if I delete a mail in my All Mail (Gmail) folder then that mail still remains in the inbox. Is there any way through which I can simultaneously delete mails from both the folders or do I have to delete in them separately every time?

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.