PDA

View Full Version : Importing imovie into USB external hardisk

Hushpuppy
08-21-2009, 02:34 AM
Hi, my first time post on Mac forums!

I am currently trying to upload videos from my HV30 using Imovie. My internal on my Macbook Pro hard drive is filled to the brim so I bought a brand new shiny Samsung S2 portable hard drive to upload the files into.

But for some reason, I can't figure out how to tell imovie to directly import into the hardrive, when it ask for the location the hard drive doesn't show up. With a little research I suspect it is because the hard drive is connected via USB.

I could really use some help to shed a little light on my situation. Why can't imovie see my hard drive? What can I do to make it see it?

Thatguy16
08-21-2009, 05:10 PM
Can you just delete some applications on the internal hard-drive, save the imovie fie to internal and manually move the movie?

*I havent heard of this before..if the Mac can place it on our normal hard-drive, wouldn't just save where space was? That'd make sence...*

xstep
08-21-2009, 08:29 PM
First, DO NOT delete applications, unless you really know that is what you want to do. The Apple ones can be a hassle to get back.

Since the OP didn't say, I'm assuming iMovie 09 is being used.

When you import, a sheet popup under the window title bar. The first thing is "Save to:", where you should be able to select the drive you want your event footage to go to. Your external drive should be an option, as long as it is visible in the Finder too. Being the first time saving to that drive, I think it should also give a new default event name.

Thatguy16
08-21-2009, 09:53 PM
First, DO NOT delete applications, unless you really know that is what you want to do. The Apple ones can be a hassle to get back.

im compleatly with xstep on this one. I didn't mean delete apple softwear, I was talking about third party softwear and really useless stuff.