• The Mac-Forums Community Guidelines (linked at the top of every forum) are very clear, we respect US law and court precedence when it comes to legality of activity.

Therefore to clarify:
    • You may not discuss breaking DVD or BluRay encryption, copying, or "ripping" commercial, copy-protected DVDs.
    • This includes DVDs or BluRays you own. Even if you own the DVD or BluRay, it is still technically illegal under the DMCA to break the encryption. While some may argue otherwise, until the law is rewritten or the US Supreme Court strikes it down, we will adhere to the current intent of the law.
    • You may discuss ripping or copying unprotected movies or homemade DVDs.
    • You may discuss ripping or copying tools in the context that they are used for legal purposes as outlined in this post.

Save iDVD project as disc image??

C

code777

Since I'm kinda new at this, how do i save my iDVD project as a disk image. Basically I want to be able to make copies w/o having to go through the DREADED encoding process every time... I think I already messed up as I quit iDVD already but I'm going to be needing to burn copies of my movie as people request it so...

ThankS!

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
20" iMac C2D 2.16ghz, 13" MacBook 2.0ghz, 60gb iPod vid, 1gb nano
You need to have iDVD5

File -> Save as Disc Image

OP
C

code777

yup i have iDVD5 but when i do save as disc image it looks like it is going through the dreaded 2.5hr encoding deal. is this the only way?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
It has to encode it but once it does it you have disc image that never needs to be encoded again

OP
C

code777

sorry to bring this up again but.

will the above procedure work to make duplicate copies of my movie project? thanks. haven't tried it yet but will soon enough.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Should work. I don't think iDVD creates an copy protection when you burn the disk so you should be able to make the image

OP
C

code777

worked like a charm. any iDVD project can do the procedure above but heh heh, you can't do it with anything that hasn't been created in iDVD

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Aluminium Macbook 2.4 Ghz 4GB RAM, SSD 24" Samsung Display, iPhone 4, iPad 2
But the disk image version would work as well:

You can just store the image (after all the encoding has been completed) and then just drag and burn the files in the .dmg to burn them in Toast or in the Finder.

The .dmg is then basically a virtual DVD on your computer. But your way will work too :)

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iDVD4 does not have built in support for saving as a disc image. I believe there is a hack out there somewhere that allows you but I forget where

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.