• Welcome to the Off-Topic/Schweb's Lounge

In addition to the Mac-Forums Community Guidelines, there are a few things you should pay attention to while in The Lounge.

Lounge Rules
    • If your post belongs in a different forum, please post it there.
    • While this area is for off-topic conversations, that doesn't mean that every conversation will be permitted. The moderators will, at their sole discretion, close or delete any threads which do not serve a beneficial purpose to the community.

Understand that while The Lounge is here as a place to relax and discuss random topics, that doesn't mean we will allow any topic. Topics which are inflammatory, hurtful, or otherwise clash with our Mac-Forums Community Guidelines will be removed.

The temptation is killing me!

T

todd51

Every once in a while I'll get the urge to purchase a new toy. In this case I'm thinking about getting a refurbished iMac with a 24" screen. Right now I'm using my MBP (2006 and now out of Applecare) with an external 20" monitor as my primary computer. It rarely leaves my desk unless I go on a trip or something.

Now I'm kind of itching to get a new iMac so that I have a lot more screen real estate. Then I could always use my MBP for when I'm on the go. I was hoping to use my MBP for my main computer for another 3 or 4 years but I really just feel like having a new computer now. Am I crazy for wanting another new Mac? If so just tell me! :Shouting:

Oh I also think it's because I just got a job back in April, my first REAL job, so I love having money to spend. :Smirk:

EDIT: Forgot to metion that at some point I would like to edit short family/friend videos on it. I never did go to film school but I like video editing, I had some classes in college that dealt with it. To be honest I think the coolest job in the world would be editing Hollywood movies. :)

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Macky the 21.5'' iMac 2.7ghz i5 8GB, Mr. Pink 64GB iPhone 6, iPad Jr. 16GB Air 2, 13'' MBAir 1.6Ghz
I know exactly how you feel! :D

I'm itching for a new mac as well. :D Although, I have decided to wait a few more months when I'll have a bit more cash to go all out and get a 13'' MBP. I currently have a late 2006 13'' white MB with 3 months of applecare left on it.

Anywho, back to you,

I say if you have the money, go for it! You only live once ;D 24'' iMacs are pretty sweet and snow leopard will be out soon.

Do it! & Congrats on your new real job! :)

OP
T

todd51

Thanks for the advice Netty! Yea, our Macs are about the same age I guess. I noticed that yours actually has the Core 2 Duo, whereas mine only has the Core Duo. I should have waited a month or two before I bought mine back in 2006! I did put a new 500GB hard drive in it recently which would almost be useless right now, but oh well! I'm really considering it, which I need to think fast because I would like to get that free iPod and give it to my Dad. He want's a Touch really badly but doesn't want to commit to it and put down some money.

My brother ordered his first Mac last night (Macbook) so that also has me wanting to buy a new one. Mine is still perfectly fine, a few dents and scratches but man sometimes I just miss having two huge desktop screens!

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iPod Nano 4gb, 20" 2.66 GHz Core 2 Duo, 2GB of ram, ATI HD 2600 pro
Hmm I just reading some articles today that are rumoring that SL will be launch on the 28th this month, that would be simply outstanding if they launch ahead of time. Either way we will found out shortly.

Now onto topic, I would say hold out a bit longer to get iMac, firstly for SL and secondly you still could get in on the buy the mac and the iPod and get the iPod "free" deal.

OP
T

todd51

Hmm I just reading some articles today that are rumoring that SL will be launch on the 28th this month, that would be simply outstanding if they launch ahead of time. Either way we will found out shortly.

Now onto topic, I would say hold out a bit longer to get iMac, firstly for SL and secondly you still could get in on the buy the mac and the iPod and get the iPod "free" deal.

Yea I was thinking about holding out until at least September. I see on Apple's website that the iPod deal lasts until September 9th.

OP
T

todd51

Oh man, I just now realized that the refurbished computers do not qualify for the free iPod Touch. :(

cwa107

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
14" MacBook Pro M1 Pro, 16GB RAM, 1TB SSD
I have to be honest - after having serviced an iMac (previous generation) to replace a hard drive, I'd be hard pressed to recommend one to anyone. From what I've seen, they are designed to be disposable. With the way they're priced, I think it's ridiculous. The latest generation is even worse. Only buy an iMac if you intend to only ever upgrade the memory.

OP
T

todd51

Thanks for the honesty cwa107. I understand what your saying, that's what you get with most all-in-one computers. I have thought it through and yes it would be the only thing I plan to upgrade. Thanks for the warning though!

cwa107

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Thanks for the honesty cwa107. I understand what your saying, that's what you get with most all-in-one computers. I have thought it through and yes it would be the only thing I plan to upgrade. Thanks for the warning though!

Another point I'd like to make - the machine I serviced was a 2 year old iMac with a bad hard drive. By far, the number one hardware failure I see in my work is in hard drives. If you go this way, I'd recommend AppleCare.

OP
T

todd51

I always get AppleCare. I got it on my MBP and the combo drive died in it right outside the one year warranty. APP saved me probably $500-$600.

If the hard drive does die outside the APP I would feel comfortable enough swapping it out myself. I work on computers all the time and I think I would be able to do it without screwing anything up.

cwa107

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
I always get AppleCare. I got it on my MBP and the combo drive died in it right outside the one year warranty. APP saved me probably $500-$600.

If the hard drive does die outside the APP I would feel comfortable enough swapping it out myself. I work on computers all the time and I think I would be able to do it without screwing anything up.

Don't try it. On the newest iMacs, the glass panel is hermetically sealed. It has to be removed in a clean room, and then lint rolled (both the screen and the panel) before you can reinstall. You'll need at least three special tools just to crack the case.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
13 Inch Apple MacBook Pro; 2.40 GHZ, 4GB Ram, 250GB HDD

I heard the same, I'm pretty excited too. I jus love it when they release things earlier than expected, and now for you todd51 I think you should go for it but about the ipod touch, not so sure what you could do maybe find a deal on it from somewhere else, perhaps ebay? anyways just an idea. i once found a brand new sealed 2nd gen 32GB ipod touch for 250 (Cnadian dollars).

OP
T

todd51

I heard the same, I'm pretty excited too. I jus love it when they release things earlier than expected, and now for you todd51 I think you should go for it but about the ipod touch, not so sure what you could do maybe find a deal on it from somewhere else, perhaps ebay? anyways just an idea. i once found a brand new sealed 2nd gen 32GB ipod touch for 250 (Cnadian dollars).

I'm not too worried about the iPod, I already have a 16GB iPod Touch. I was just going to get it for my Dad or just sell it somewhere for more money. I think I'm going to just wait a while for Snow Leopard to be released. Probably order one sometime around the middle of September.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.