How to get read/write permission on encrypted disk image

Reaction score
I recently bought a Macbook Pro and am having some difficulty figuring out permissions on an encrypted disk image. Here's my situation:

1. I partitioned an external hard drive into two parts: one is Mac OS Extended (Journaled), the other is FAT (for Windows stuff).
2. I created a password protected disk image on the Mac partition of the external hard drive and put private files in there.
3. After the disk image is mounted, I can access the files with no problem, but I can't delete them or move them around within the disk image or add additional files to the disk image.

When I check the info, it says I only have read permission and I don't see a way to change that. My question: is this disk image "fixed"? In other words, am I forever prevented from modifying anything within the encrypted disk image?

Thanks for your help!
A new Mac user

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
By nature Disk Images are read only. Same as if you were trying to add files to an *.ISO, no can do. Don't use an image to store the encrypted files. If you need to protect the files, use an encryption program instead.

Try "Truecrypt" since it's free.

Regards.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
12" Apple PowerBook G4 (1.5GHz)
By nature Disk Images are read only.
No. The default .dmg format is read/write.
Same as if you were trying to add files to an *.ISO, no can do.
Sure you can. Not sure if Disk Utility or the Finder alone can do it, but it's absolutely possible.

Don't use an image to store the encrypted files.
By all means, use encrypted images to store files securely, so long as you intend to access them only from other Macs.

I would try starting over with a new .dmg first.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.