MacBook Pro can't read music CD's, but is fine with other disks

Reaction score
MacBook Pro unable to read music CD's, but ok for everything else

Hi,

I'm hoping someone can help me out with something a little odd. My MacBook has stopped being able to read music CD's, including brand new CD's, not just burnt ones. It makes loud whiring noises and spits them back out.

However it can still play DVD's, and read program disks. So this leads me to believe the issue isn't the laser. I've tried updating iTunes, but it hasn't changed anything.

Does anyone have any ideas as to why this is happening?

Thanks,
Rachel

OP
R
Reaction score
Hi,

I'm hoping someone can help me out with something a little odd. My MacBook has stopped being able to read music CD's, including brand new CD's, not just burnt ones. It makes loud whiring noises and spits them back out.

However it can still play DVD's, and read program disks. So this leads me to believe the issue isn't the laser. I've tried updating iTunes, but it hasn't changed anything.

Does anyone have any ideas as to why this is happening? Any settings, or updates that could help this?

Thanks,
Rachel

bobtomay

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15" MBP '06 2.33 C2D 4GB 10.7; 13" MBA '14 1.8 i7 8GB 10.11; 21" iMac '13 2.9 i5 8GB 10.11; 6S
Note: Merged similar/crossposted threads.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
20" Intel iMac 2.4 Ghz/3G Ram/320HD, Snow Leopard. PBook G4, 1.5Ghz/1.5 Ram/250 HD, Leopard 10.5.6.
It could be the laser. DVD's and CD's have different sized "grooves".
Try cleaning the laser with a disc cleaner and see what happens.

OP
R
Reaction score
Thanks for the suggestion. I'll give it a try.
I thought I fixed it by updating Mac OS, but the second CD stuck, so no luck with that!

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.