• The Mac-Forums Community Guidelines (linked at the top of every forum) are very clear, we respect US law and court precedence when it comes to legality of activity.

Therefore to clarify:
    • You may not discuss breaking DVD or BluRay encryption, copying, or "ripping" commercial, copy-protected DVDs.
    • This includes DVDs or BluRays you own. Even if you own the DVD or BluRay, it is still technically illegal under the DMCA to break the encryption. While some may argue otherwise, until the law is rewritten or the US Supreme Court strikes it down, we will adhere to the current intent of the law.
    • You may discuss ripping or copying unprotected movies or homemade DVDs.
    • You may discuss ripping or copying tools in the context that they are used for legal purposes as outlined in this post.

Imovie share to youtube, where are the files stored?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Macbook White 2.13Ghz 160GB 10.6.4 (Buggy Version :() Snow Leopard
If I want to watch a movie I've made for youtube on the local disk, where will I find it? If it's a temporary file, it doesn't matter as long as I know in the next few hours because it's taking that long to upload the large HD movie.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2011 MBP, i7, 16GB RAM, MBP 2.16Ghz Core Duo, 2GB ram, Dual 867Mhz MDD, 1.75GB ram, ATI 9800 Pro vid
The only thing I see isn't playable. In a special Unix folder called /tmp, a file called tmpUploadFile.txt is created. That file has some XML wrapping around it which if stripped, would reveal the real MP4 file iMovie created and is playable. While the upload was occurring, I copied the file and hacked basic Perl script to strip the XML.

I think you are better off just downloading the MP4 file from your YT account. Oh wait, my test shows that content uploaded via iMovie 09, doesn't display a download button in YouTube. What's with that?

OP
god0fgod
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Macbook White 2.13Ghz 160GB 10.6.4 (Buggy Version :() Snow Leopard
I've just realised that once it is made for youtube, you can export it to the hard drive afterwards without needing to create the file again. Providing it is the same size of-course.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Macbook 13" 2.13GHz - Intel Core 2 Duo 2GB DDR2 Memory - 160GB HD - NVIDIA GeForce 9400M
I think you are better off just downloading the MP4 file from your YT account. Oh wait, my test shows that content uploaded via iMovie 09, doesn't display a download button in YouTube.

Youtube is weird like that. I actually do have that button on some iMovie projects that I've uploaded, but the button disappears after downloading a few files. A red bar shows up saying that "the file is no longer available for download", ***?! Its like they don't want you to download all of your own stuff very easily.

Oh, and I was going to chime in with what the OP already discovered for himself. As long as you haven't made any changes to the project since uploading to YouTube, yes you can just export the file at the same quality settings and its super snappy, as if its taking that hidden file and just renaming it and making it visible. Weird.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.