• The Mac-Forums Community Guidelines (linked at the top of every forum) are very clear, we respect US law and court precedence when it comes to legality of activity.

Therefore to clarify:
    • You may not discuss breaking DVD or BluRay encryption, copying, or "ripping" commercial, copy-protected DVDs.
    • This includes DVDs or BluRays you own. Even if you own the DVD or BluRay, it is still technically illegal under the DMCA to break the encryption. While some may argue otherwise, until the law is rewritten or the US Supreme Court strikes it down, we will adhere to the current intent of the law.
    • You may discuss ripping or copying unprotected movies or homemade DVDs.
    • You may discuss ripping or copying tools in the context that they are used for legal purposes as outlined in this post.

Saving stills in imovie8! Driving me crazy

Reaction score
I want to capture stills from an imovie project. (Have imovie6HD, and though I actually know how to control it far better, especially for this purpose, did a comparison from same video (mini-DV) importing it into both 8 and 6. For some reasons I don't understand, the stills look considerably better from imovie8 - crisper, more contrast, ie.needing less Photoshop work, etc. )
So went to "right-click method" in imovie8 - "save as still frame" - a major trial in itself, as each time I do that, a 4-second, many-thumbnailed clip, pops into the project at the end, and takes me to the end of the clips in the project. That means having to go back up and searching for where I left off in the video - every single time! A real pain!

Went though the pain for a few clips - which leads me to the really crazy part/my question.
Ended up with some folder called "Stills" - filled with the perfect jpgs.

I don't know how I got to that folder (believe it or not)! And no matter how I search, I can't find that folder in my Mac! Nor can I find any docs called "Still" though that's how those 18 photos were named - Still 1, Still2, etc.
However, when I go to Preview, and go to "Open recent" the last 6 of those "Stills" in that folder are there, and are openable. So they must be on my Mac somewhere.
Please someone, tell me where those stills go from imovie8. THAT's the folder I need!

Thanks much in advance. (And pardon my stupidity, if it's that...)
Adele

Where do those "Stills" go? How can I access that/folder?

OP
E
Reaction score
Just found it! - kinda....
Right-clicked on one of the saved "stills" (the multi-thumbnailed clips)in the project window, and last choice was "Reveal in finder."
That took me to the "Stills" folder imovie8 was apparently making for me. I quickly took the now 30 stills in there and moved them into my own folder, which I move into Documents, where I CAN find it.

I did NOT however, find a way of finding out where that "Stills" folder is being created and held. I still find it strange that the "File-Find" cannot find the folder or the docs, nor can Adobe Bridge, etc. Still wondering where it is...in the Mac? Administrator? User? Library? etc.... Strange...very.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2011 MBP, i7, 16GB RAM, MBP 2.16Ghz Core Duo, 2GB ram, Dual 867Mhz MDD, 1.75GB ram, ATI 9800 Pro vid
You found the stills, so I don't under stand when you say "I did NOT however, find a way of finding out where that "Stills" folder is being created and held.".

Anyway, use Comman-Click on the title on the top of the Finder window that popped up and you'll see a list of where you are.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.