• Welcome to the Off-Topic/Schweb's Lounge

In addition to the Mac-Forums Community Guidelines, there are a few things you should pay attention to while in The Lounge.

Lounge Rules
    • If your post belongs in a different forum, please post it there.
    • While this area is for off-topic conversations, that doesn't mean that every conversation will be permitted. The moderators will, at their sole discretion, close or delete any threads which do not serve a beneficial purpose to the community.

Understand that while The Lounge is here as a place to relax and discuss random topics, that doesn't mean we will allow any topic. Topics which are inflammatory, hurtful, or otherwise clash with our Mac-Forums Community Guidelines will be removed.

Very important decision, needing to be made soon!

Reaction score
Hey guys,

Random question, or situation if you will. I'm at a cross road in my career/life and I'm not certain what I should be doing. I've spoken with friends and they always give me some lame answer like "do what you think will make you happy", which is respectable, however, I need a third parties opinion.

I have recently started a very good, well paying job. I have been looking around for a new place to live, and in my search have found two wicked awesome places. The problem is that I'm not sure whether or not this job is for me - don't get me wrong, I do enjoy it and it's a challenge, but I kind of miss the old company, and the people I worked with.

My situation however is this:

A) If I take apartment a), It does cost a little more, however it has a nicer building (Secured entry, HUGE Kitchen, dishwasher, central air; the works, Indoor pool, hot tub, sauna, underground parking, and work out room), is relatively close to my new job and leaves me with a tad more disposable income at the end of the month.

B) If I take apartment b), The monthly rent is a little less, and it is not a building, but rather a bottom level of a townhouse condo. It would also require leaving my better paying job, and going back to my old one (Not as much money), as the rental corporation has a "maximum Income" clause for the apartment. Lame. I have never heard of this in my entire life. It doesn't have all the nice things that apartment a) has, and seems like a bit of a cave, but none the less, is still nice.

The only reason I'm even considering apartment b) is because I do miss the people I worked with at my old job, LOVED the company, however I did absolutely hate the work I was doing.

What would you do?

bobtomay

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15" MBP '06 2.33 C2D 4GB 10.7; 13" MBA '14 1.8 i7 8GB 10.11; 21" iMac '13 2.9 i5 8GB 10.11; 6S
Personally, taking a job where you hate the work - is a bad idea.

T

todd51

I would definitely go with option A, especially since you said you hated the work you were doing. You never know what a new job could lead to, not to mention better pay and what sounds to me like a nicer living condition. Another reason why I would probably go with option A (again, this is if it were me), would be because I like trying new things. If I pass up a new opportunity I think about what could have come of it all the time.

My vote is option A.

OP
M
Reaction score

Yeah I've learned that. I did enjoy my time there however. I think the people is what made it enjoyable.

I would definitely go with option A, especially since you said you hated the work you were doing. You never know what a new job could lead to, not to mention better pay and what sounds to me like a nicer living condition. Another reason why I would probably go with option A (again, this is if it were me), would be because I like trying new things. If I pass up a new opportunity I think about what could have come of it all the time.

My vote is option A.

Two for option A!!!! Keep them opinions coming!

I definitely appreciate the opportunity to try something new. I'm just about 2 months in, and so far so good. Not too keen on the manager, but that's something I can adapt to I guess. :)

vansmith

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mini (2014, 2018, 2020), MBA (2020), iPad Pro (2018), iPhone 13 Pro Max, Watch (S6)
I agree with this and despite not having had a full time job yet, doing something you don't like is never a good option. Your dislike of the job will be reflected in your work and demeanor in the workplace. To be fair though, you said you just started your new job so it is fair to say that you may not have "placed" yourself. In other words, it is possible that you will come to associate with those at the new job. The only person who can judge if this is a potential is yourself.

Maximum income clause? That doesn't sound right. I'm no lawyer but it doesn't seem legal that they can ask you for your income as a condition for entering into a lease.

OP
M
Reaction score
I agree with this and despite not having had a full time job yet, doing something you don't like is never a good option. Your dislike of the job will be reflected in your work and demeanor in the workplace. To be fair though, you said you just started your new job so it is fair to say that you may not have "placed" yourself. In other words, it is possible that you will come to associate with those at the new job. The only person who can judge if this is a potential is yourself.

Maximum income clause? That doesn't sound right. I'm no lawyer but it doesn't seem legal that they can ask you for your income as a condition for entering into a lease.

Yeah, I've made friends with the people from the new place, however at my old job, we were all friends, and would always go out together as well and were a very tightly knit unit. I guess that's what kind of even makes me consider going back.

As for the apartment, it apparently has something to do with the municipality. I don't quite understand it, but it's definitely a turn off. I'm assuming you vote option A? :)

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Sooper Fast!
I like expensive things. Take a wild guess.

vansmith

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mini (2014, 2018, 2020), MBA (2020), iPad Pro (2018), iPhone 13 Pro Max, Watch (S6)
Yeah, I've made friends with the people from the new place, however at my old job, we were all friends, and would always go out together as well and were a very tightly knit unit. I guess that's what kind of even makes me consider going back.

As for the apartment, it apparently has something to do with the municipality. I don't quite understand it, but it's definitely a turn off. I'm assuming you vote option A? :)
Do whatever makes you happy. Simple as that. As for the job - can I assume that this is a job at RIM or at one of the two universities?

When I was in Waterloo, I never saw that clause in my lease nor did I ever hear of it. I would inquire as to why that is necessary.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iPod Nano 4gb, 20" 2.66 GHz Core 2 Duo, 2GB of ram, ATI HD 2600 pro
I think with either option you would be happy, however with option A in place it grants new roads for you follow down, and new doors could open up to you. With some paint and some other things option A would not be a place or an apartment it would be a home, someplace you enjoy coming to every night, something you enjoy bringing your date back to.

OP
M
Reaction score
Do whatever makes you happy. Simple as that. As for the job - can I assume that this is a job at RIM or at one of the two universities?

When I was in Waterloo, I never saw that clause in my lease nor did I ever hear of it. I would inquire as to why that is necessary.

Yeah, I'm pretty happy where I am now the more I think of it. It's actually not at RIM...I don't think I could work for such a huge corporation. Would be interesting for sure though!

As for the apartment thing, it apparently has something to do with the region of Waterloo and the affordable housing type deal? Ive looked it up and havent had too much luck....but the monthly rent isn't what I would call "cheap" by pushing 1k/month.

I've actually made my decision, I'm NOT going back to the old company which is for certain, and I'm looking at another place tonight :)

So far one decision has been made!

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBookAir5,2:10.13.6-iMac18,3:10.13.6-iPhone9,3:11.4.1
Keep the well paying job, and cheat on apartment A with apartment B on the weekends.

OP
M
Reaction score
Keep the well paying job, and cheat on apartment A with apartment B on the weekends.

being in accounting, the formula: "a (Income) - b (apartment a) - c (apartment b)" does not sound like a promising result to support my beer habbit.

Swell Idea though ;)

OP
M
Reaction score
I think with either option you would be happy, however with option A in place it grants new roads for you follow down, and new doors could open up to you. With some paint and some other things option A would not be a place or an apartment it would be a home, someplace you enjoy coming to every night, something you enjoy bringing your date back to.

I didn't even notice that before. But that was very well said. The more I think about it, the more I look forward to apartment A, unless the apartment I'm looking at tonight completely blows me away.

vansmith

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
As for the apartment thing, it apparently has something to do with the region of Waterloo and the affordable housing type deal? Ive looked it up and havent had too much luck....but the monthly rent isn't what I would call "cheap" by pushing 1k/month.
I asked my mom about this and apparently it does indeed have something to do with affordable housing. It's to ensure that those who can not afford places get a break if they can prove that their income isn't very high.

OP
M
Reaction score
I asked my mom about this and apparently it does indeed have something to do with affordable housing. It's to ensure that those who can not afford places get a break if they can prove that their income isn't very high.

Hm...interesting. I'll have to ask my mum about that too. I don't understand how they can label that "affordable housing" though? The apartment itself is $868+utilies, which would push it to around $1,000 a month. Odd indeed.

vansmith

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
I'm not an expert on rent by any means as I have only ever rented student places but that doesn't seem so bad. If you have two income earners (even with fairly low paying jobs), it's not that bad. Now, I have no idea what kind of apartment this is or whereabouts in Waterloo it is but that seems somewhat reasonable. How many bedrooms is it?

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.