Networking my mac to my pc..HELP!!!!

Reaction score
Hi there, I recently bought a mac for the first time and i dont know too much just yet. I was trying to migrate my files using a network with no avail. Ive tried...

1. Using finder and "connect to server". -tried smb://(computer name: as found in "properties"), afp://network address(***.***.*.* - as in the one you type to get to your modem settings), afp://***.***.*** - as in IP, but all other computers on the network share the same network ip address?

2. Setting all the folders in my xp to share on network with full read and write capabilities. Same with on the mac side.

3. Other way around, finding my mac on the xp network side.

Idk what to do. Anything with the workgroup? maybe I'm not giving the right info to "connect to server".

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iMac 21 inch
i "walk" my files thru an external drive formatted FAT to allow both PC and Mac to see them. not elegant but it worked. for day to day stuff i have a 16gig USB flash drive. if you dont have or want to buy anything, you can use a SD card, or whatever your camera uses. it may take many passes but this sounds line a one time event as you migrate to Apple.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.