PDA

View Full Version : Play AVCHD files

lapino
08-16-2009, 01:38 AM
Is there a way to play AVCHD files fluently without transcoding them. I have no problem having to transcode to edit, but I would like to preview them first. I tried both VLC and Toast, but neither works. They start playing, but stutter like **** after a second or so.

Might be some settings in VLC, but I already tried to increase cache size and disable filters, but this didn't change a thing.

Nethfel
08-16-2009, 09:16 AM
You didn't specify your Macs specifications, depending on the age and configuration of your Mac, it may be struggling to play it.

lapino
08-16-2009, 10:08 AM
I'm using a late 2008 unibody Macbook Pro, 2.4ghz - 2gb ram - latest updates installed. I don't think my hardware is too low to play avchd files. Must be a software issue.

Nethfel
08-16-2009, 11:07 AM
Have you tried playing them with Plex? Plex Media Center for OS X (http://www.plexapp.com/) It tends to play some files better then vlc - personally I never tried using toast to play video files. You could also try mplayer for mac Download MPlayer for Mac - Movie player supports most video formats. MacUpdate Mac Video Software Downloads (http://www.macupdate.com/info.php/id/18580/mplayer)

I don't really watch avchd format videos on my mac; usually I just am converting within Final Cut, which will show my preview of the video from my camcorder. The only files i watch that are encoded similarly to AVCHD are files that I've taken via my HDPVR but those files aren't in the correct hierarchy of AVCHD - those files (.ts and .m2ts) tend to play best for me in plex.

lapino
08-16-2009, 11:23 AM
Tried plex, works but a little stuttery there too. Didn't try mplayer. I also convert them for FCE but it's sometimes nice to be able to just preview the clips without any work.

nichhit25
08-17-2009, 09:24 PM
Just use nightly built VLC to play AVCHD .mts or .m2ts files. And a fast mac is recommended, cause an old mac always has troubles to work.

Nethfel
08-17-2009, 10:58 PM
I guess you didn't quite read all the posts Nichhit25 - in Lapinos reply (post #3) he specified the Mac he is using - a 2.4GHz MB Unibody which is quite a recent, and relatively fast Mac. Plus in his first post, he was talking about using VLC and experiencing problems with playback quality.

Lapino: Do you know the bitrate of the AVCHD files you're trying to play?

nichhit25
08-18-2009, 05:27 AM
i mean to download nightly build , :[ but i cannot ensure if it is stable.:D sorry

lapino
08-18-2009, 01:00 PM
Sorry guys but same problem with the nightly builds. The .Mts files play fine for about 3 seconds and then start stuttering.

Nethfel
08-18-2009, 01:54 PM
What are the .mts files from exactly? Also you never mentioned the bitrate of the encoding of those files...

nichhit25
08-18-2009, 10:23 PM
i guess the .mts files are from a certain AVCHD camcorder. lapino, if you just need to view the clips in a hurry, you can playback the clips in iMovie's capture window. maybe it is an avialable way.

Nethfel
08-18-2009, 10:59 PM
i guess the .mts files are from a certain AVCHD camcorder. lapino, if you just need to view the clips in a hurry, you can playback the clips in iMovie's capture window. maybe it is an avialable way.

That's what I'm assuming too (camcorder) - he's using FCE, which has a preview window for AVCHD files as well prior to import. I'm just wonder what the camera is and what bitrate it is - it's possible that if he has a new camera with a high bitrate, that maybe the software can't decompress and display at the recorded bitrate.