networking my macbook and my pc?

Reaction score
hi i am new to mac and was wondering if there is a way to network my macbook and my windows baced pc so i can get music and movies off my pc and on to my macbook?
thanks

Reaction score
Sure — do you have both computers on a wired or wireless network already? If so, to turn on File Sharing (to other computers) on OS X head to the Sharing section of System Preferences (found via the Apple menu).

Accessing a share (unless you have changed the defaults) can be done by opening Finder and select the appropriate machine from the 'Shared' section on the left-hand pane (applies to both shares from both OS X and Windows).

bobtomay

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15" MBP '06 2.33 C2D 4GB 10.7; 13" MBA '14 1.8 i7 8GB 10.11; 21" iMac '13 2.9 i5 8GB 10.11; 6S
On your Win machine - open up Windows Explorer - find your My Documents folder and right click on it.

In the popup menu select 'Sharing and Security'

In the box that pops up - put a check next to 'Share this folder on the network'
Set the Share Name to whatever you would like
If they're both your computers and user accounts you can check off 'Allow network users to change my files' - I usually don't

Click on Apply and OK

Windows will do it's thing - it should how up in Finder on your Mac in just a minute or so. It'll be listed under 'Shared' in the sidebar.

If you don't have a section called 'Shared' on the sidebar - open up Finder Preferences and on the General tab - you can put a check next to everything under the Shared section - won't hurt anything

Of course, this will share everything in the documents folder - if you don't want to do that, it's the same actions for sharing only your music or video folders.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.