• Welcome to the Off-Topic/Schweb's Lounge

In addition to the Mac-Forums Community Guidelines, there are a few things you should pay attention to while in The Lounge.

Lounge Rules
    • If your post belongs in a different forum, please post it there.
    • While this area is for off-topic conversations, that doesn't mean that every conversation will be permitted. The moderators will, at their sole discretion, close or delete any threads which do not serve a beneficial purpose to the community.

Understand that while The Lounge is here as a place to relax and discuss random topics, that doesn't mean we will allow any topic. Topics which are inflammatory, hurtful, or otherwise clash with our Mac-Forums Community Guidelines will be removed.

Just curious, do you use your computer for online banking?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac osx 10.5.8
Just wanting peoples views on how safe they think online banking is. I don't use online banking yet and am still a little unsure of the safety of doing so. It still seems a little risky to me, what do you think?:D

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook
There is nothing wrong with doing banking online.
I've been doing it for several years now with three different banks... no issues at all.

Welcome to the 21st Century. ;):D

CrimsonRequiem

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MBP 2.3 Ghz 4GB RAM 860 GB SSD, iMac 3.4 GHz Intel Core i7 32GB RAM, Fusion Drive 1TB
I use to...until I forgot my user id and password. >_>"

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
20" Intel iMac 2.4 Ghz/3G Ram/320HD, Snow Leopard. PBook G4, 1.5Ghz/1.5 Ram/250 HD, Leopard 10.5.6.
I'm with D3v1L8OY, no issues at all here. Manage all my credit cards and banking online.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iPod Nano 4gb, 20" 2.66 GHz Core 2 Duo, 2GB of ram, ATI HD 2600 pro
I do, there is nothing to be scared of you just need to know how your router works, and a good strong password.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Unibody MBP 2.4 GHz C2D/27" Core i7 iMac
Yes I do and receive all my statements electronically :)

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2018 15" MBP, 2019 11" iPad Pro, iPhone 11 Pro
My wife and I do all our banking and bill pay online. Haven't mailed a check to pay a bill or received paper statements in the mail in years.
Just be sure to be on the safe side and always logout after you're finished. And I've also heard (but don't know if it's true) that it's a good idea to close the web browser window after you logout. Then open a new one to continue doing other internet-related activities.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
3.4 Ghz i7 MacBook Pro (2015), iPad Pro (2014), iPhone Xs Max. Apple TV 4K
I access all three of my bank accounts and all of my Credit Card accounts online, including electronic funds transfers and monthly payments. No issues.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
nMP 6-core/32Gb/D700/512Gb: rMBP 15" 2.3GHz/16Gb/512Gb: iPhone 6 128Gb: iPad Air 2 128Gb: NEC PA322U
Yep. Great way to manage your bank account and credit card!

With regards to safety, I don't have an issue here, but just to make sure no info (passwords, cookies etc) are being stored I always switch on private browsing just be cautious. :)

Reaction score
couldn't operate without on-line banking/savings/bill payments.
I have no intention of standing in a bank queue EVER again!

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Custom PC
I've been using online banking for years as well with several banks and hve never had an issue with security. I use computers and m iPhone to access my accounts.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook(3,1): C2D 2.2ghz, 4g RAM, 10.7.5; iMac(12,1): 2.5ghz i5, 16gb RAM, 10.9.1; iPhone5S iOS7.04
I've banked online for years....First Union/Wachovia, Bank of America, never had a problem.

One thing you have to realize is that your bank's site is secure: it will encrypt all data that goes back and forth between your computer and theirs when it comes to your accounts. Even if they DIDN'T encrypt it, that's still a stream that's broken up into millions, if not billions, of pieces that have to be properly put together, which even for a hacker intercepting your transmission isn't the easiest thing to do.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Black Macbook C2D 2GHz 3GB RAM 250GB HD iPhone 4 iPad 3G
Wait, they still have bank tellers? Hmm, so that's what the door next to the ATM must lead to....

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Which one?
I as well have been doing electronic banking and bill payments as well. I have NEVER had a problem, but I have a good password for mine.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Way... way too many specs to list.
we even cash checks online.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
27 iMac+Thunderbolt, iMac 21,
Likewise have been using on line banking for years and as my bank insists passwords are changed very 3 months i find 1Password essential otherwise i would lose track of current p/w.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Silver M1 iMac 512/16/8/8 macOS 11.6
Here down under passwords require to be changed every six months and use of VeriSign Identity Protection gizmos is usually compulsory. PayPal also use this device to generate one off security numbers linked to the account.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15in Unibody Macbook Pro Rev. F (2.66GHz Intel Core 2 Duo with 4GB RAM)
I've banked online for years without any problems. I've even started trialling Yodlee to manage everything under one roof, which might sound risky to some but so far I haven't had any issues...

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
27 iMac+Thunderbolt, iMac 21,
Here down under passwords require to be changed every six months and use of VeriSign Identity Protection gizmos is usually compulsory. PayPal also use this device to generate one off security numbers linked to the account.

Yes here too - here is my token - i set the threshold above which the number is needed

Click for full size

Reaction score
have done so for a lot, lot of years - indeed from before I even owned a computer - so well over 10 years

Status
Not open for further replies.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.