HP Printer on dual platform

Reaction score
I am running Mac OS 10.5 and Windows XP via VMware Fusion.

I have a HP all-in-one printer, which works intermittently in print and scan functions.
HP support tells me it will not work on dual platforms.
Does anyone have a fix for this, please?

LeighWillaston

bobtomay

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15" MBP '06 2.33 C2D 4GB 10.7; 13" MBA '14 1.8 i7 8GB 10.11; 21" iMac '13 2.9 i5 8GB 10.11; 6S
There are probably 500 models of HP all-in-one printers. No one will be able to provide specific help without the model # of your printer.

Without that info, you might start reading here.

Reaction score
bobtomay, i sure could use some help. mac newbie trying to get my hp7410 all in one printer to work on time capsule (for wireless connect to cable modem) so both imac and 2 pcs (xp pro sp2) can use the multi-function printer. to date, all i've been able to get to work is the hp connected to time capsule and print from imac (via network).

my setup -
- imac leopard os 10.5.X (the latest) with parallels vm -windows - can't 'find' hp printer on windows side. i also need scan capability on windows side.
- an old dell on another floor - can't 'find' hp printer. it has bonjour on it
- tablet pc (xp2 or 3) currently in for repair but must have access to hp.

i bought a wired hub which is connected to timecapsule...when hp printer is connected to hub, can print from imac, but can't scan or do the other multi-functions unless i direct connect it to imac. i really don't want to direct connect it to imac.

i have read (not fully understanding) the networking printing posts, but still no luck. i don't want to go out and buy other equipment unless i know how to connect it and it will work. this nice looking wired hub is cute, but doesn't do what i thought it would do.

how can i get everything to get along and get some productive functionality to this expensive equipment? thanks so much.

Reaction score
dont know if you're still having a problem with windows side, but from vm side, i re-downloaded from hp site, full software for my printer, downloaded from apple site, bonjour for windows, and then during setup, i selected the printer that had 'printermodel @ imac', not the printer model selection. ditto for scan selection (@ imac)

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.