• The Mac-Forums Community Guidelines (linked at the top of every forum) are very clear, we respect US law and court precedence when it comes to legality of activity.

Therefore to clarify:
    • You may not discuss breaking DVD or BluRay encryption, copying, or "ripping" commercial, copy-protected DVDs.
    • This includes DVDs or BluRays you own. Even if you own the DVD or BluRay, it is still technically illegal under the DMCA to break the encryption. While some may argue otherwise, until the law is rewritten or the US Supreme Court strikes it down, we will adhere to the current intent of the law.
    • You may discuss ripping or copying unprotected movies or homemade DVDs.
    • You may discuss ripping or copying tools in the context that they are used for legal purposes as outlined in this post.

Problems with DVD Burning

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
IMac 21.5'' 3.06ghz, Mac Pro 2.66ghzx4, Powermac G4 1.25ghz, IMac 17'' 1.8ghz
Hi
I am finishing up a project edited with Final Cut Pro and IMovie '06. I recently exported it and the Quicktime looks great! I bring it into Roxio Toast Titanium 5 (I know...old!) and I burn a dvd for one of my actors. I put it into the dvd player. The audio in one of my scenes is screwed up, and the slow motion and still frame scene is shaky! I go back in and burn another dvd, THE SAME THING HAPPENS! One of my dvd players says one of the disks are corrupt. But the other one? Help

I am running...
PowerMac G4 1.25 ghz
Leopard 10.5
2 gig ram
ATI Radion Pro 9600

Apple IMovie '06
Apple Final Cut Pro (Included with Studio 2)
Roxio Toast Titanium

HELP!

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Late 2013 rMBP, i7, 750m gpu, OSX versions 10.9.3, 10.10
Can you be more descriptive on the audio being "screwed up"? is it garbled? is it not in sync? Did you make a DVD image and attempt to mount the image and play it via OSX's DVD player software instead of actually burning a disc? It'd be good to know if it's a burning issue or if the actual dvd image being created by the program is screwed up.

If the audio is out of sync, and slowmo doesn't look right, my first thought (which may be wrong) would be a framerate issue (ie: footage not in the proper framerate, or being misinterpreted by the converter)

OP
A
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
The audio is garbled and I created an actual dvd. Thank you for responding to my post and helping me. I am a newbie and its nice to know I can go some place and get help with an issue.;D

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Late 2013 rMBP, i7, 750m gpu, OSX versions 10.9.3, 10.10
Well, no guarantee I can help, but ...

First - I'd try to re-author, but to author to a disk image rather then the DVD and play it back. Test the playback using Apples built in DVD player. If all looks good, use Burn or Toast or Disk Utility to burn the image to a physical DVD. Don't burn at max rate, try burning slower (ie: if your media maxes out at 8x, and your drive does the same, try running at 2 or 4x record speed - otherwise go to 1/2 or 1/4 of the lower number (so if the drive maxes at 4x, record at 1x or 2x, if the media maxes at 4x, record at 1x or 2x regardless of drive capability, etc.) - it is possible it's burning too fast for the media and something is getting messed up. Last time I had major issues with burned dvds it ended up being the media I was using just wasn't up to par.

If that doesn't help, or the disk image you created pre-burning to DVD looks wrong (bad video, garbled audio, etc.)...

When you watch the exported video in quicktime - everything looks correct, yes? If so, and you press command+I jot down the top of the two framerate numbers (the first one should be the actual framerate noted in the file (ie: 29.97, 25, 59.94, etc) and the second one will be the "playback" framerate which tends to round up (ie: if the actual framerate is 29.97, it'll probably show 30fps in the playback speed)

Then I'd go and get a different software package to do the transcode like mpegstreamclip or quicktime pro or something similar and output the appropriate files (mpeg2 for video and either ac3 or pcm for audio) - the files will be separate, this is normal - check the video file, make sure it looks good in quicktime, then play back the audio files (you should be able to fast forward to areas that presented problems in the past) and listen.

Then author your dvd. Instead of making a physical DVD (and potentially wasting it) make a image of the disk and mount the image and attempt to play back..

Hope that helps!

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2011 MBP, i7, 16GB RAM, MBP 2.16Ghz Core Duo, 2GB ram, Dual 867Mhz MDD, 1.75GB ram, ATI 9800 Pro vid
You say one of your scenes is messed up. Does that mean everything else if fine?

Perhaps exporting that scene as a high quality self contained QuickTime file may solve your problem. You could then reimport that back into the editor and place it where it belongs.

I also wonder if the scene came from another source than the rest. Specifically, is the codec information the same or different.

Just thinking out loud.

OP
A
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
The good scenes came from my Panasonic Palmquarter VDR-D300 Mpeg Video Camera. I also used my DXG-567V HD camera for 2 scenes. The scene with the garbled audio came from that camera. The other scene came out fine. The quicktime plays back fine. All my footage was imported at 720x480.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.