How long would a RAM chip last, before it becomes slow

M

mr..nemo

My question is does RAM last forever, well i know nothing lasts for ever but how long would it last if It was under everyday heavy use. 5years before it becomes show? or will it last forever until something faster comes out and its not needed.

im asking this because im thinking how much RAM to put into my power mac dual 1.8 when i purchase it. and it wouldn’t bother me putting the full 4GB in if i knew i could keep the ram and use it in my next mac and it will work just as good as it did the day i brought it. but if its going to become slow and wear down over time i might just stick to putting 4x512MB in, which would be the cheaper option.

OP
B

bhanson

RAM doesn't take a speed performance hit over time. As long as it doesn't die, it should run the same as the day you bought it (please no 'burn-in' comments, it's irrelevant), that is, if it hasn't died or suffered some other damage. You should be able to use the same RAM in your next system if it uses the same type of RAM. If it's different, then you'll need to purchase new RAM or suffer the consequences of using a slower rated memory (that is, if it's the same socket).

When I buy memory I always get a lifetime warranty.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
20" iMac C2D 2.16ghz, 13" MacBook 2.0ghz, 60gb iPod vid, 1gb nano
Well it doesn't just slow down but by the time you need to get your next mac it might not be compatible with it or it will be much slower than the standard that they are using at the time

Reaction score
Generally the ram will last forever (well not really, nothing does). As long as it doesn't get over heated or shorted out, or some other little nasty thing. And you will probably be able to use it in your next computer, providing your next computer will accept the type of ram that it is. And seeing as how new computers tend to change, that would be the question.

On your PM dual 1.8 i would recommend starting out with 1 gig of ram. That will give you enough for smooth multitasking and do most things. Then if you start getting into more intensive stuff you could add another gig later, depending on your requirements. No need to start out with 4 gig, unless you know for sure your work requires it, would be a waste of money that could be better spent on say a better video card or bigger drive.

OP
M

mr..nemo

i dont play games, i will be doing heavy photoshop, flash, and other graphics work while running a firewall, music and messanger. will 1gb be enough do you think? would anyone recomend just getting the 4

Reaction score
mr..nemo said:
i dont play games, i will be doing heavy photoshop, flash, and other graphics work while running a firewall, music and messanger. will 1gb be enough do you think? would anyone recomend just getting the 4

I would try 1GB first, watch Activity Monitor to see how much of that you use, if you commonly max it out, then you might want to upgrade, if you don't end up using it all, upgrading would just be a waste.

I don't know exactly the nature of your work but 4GB more than likely would be excessive.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.