Do I Need Anti-Virus When Running XP

Reaction score
I purchase VM Ware's Fusion 2 for running some XP stuff. Am I protected via the Mac or do I need to install my XP Anti-Virus?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
13 MBP (mid 2009), 2.53GHz, 4GB RAM, 250GB HD. 24" Cinema Display. 32GB iphone 3gs, 32GB iPad
You need anitvirus for XP VM session. It should come with Virus software for Windows.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15-inch MacBook Pro
Ditto what Prolanman stated. A VM is NO different than any other Windows machine.

vansmith

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mini (2014, 2018, 2020), MBA (2020), iPad Pro (2018), iPhone 13 Pro Max, Watch (S6)
Like the others said, your VM will be susceptible to viruses much like a regular Windows install. If you do get one, it will be contained to the VM though. As such, I suggest that right after you install and activate Windows, you should copy the virtual hard disk elsewhere so, should something go wrong, you can copy the virtual HD back and have an already installed and activated copy of Windows ready to go.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook
If you're running Windows... then you're running Windows.

Apple hardware and/or software will not create a magical barrier to protect Windows from its ever-growing list of maladies and vulnerabilities.

M

MacInWin

I use VMWare Fusion on my iMac and I don't have any virus protection at all on Windows. I did make an image of the operating system just after installing XP and before connecting the vm to the network. And each time, before going online, I make an image backup so that if I get stupid and get a virus, I can whack the image and replace it with an uninfected on. Not much is lost but the virus. The latest Fusion even lets me keep multiple images, so I don't have to overwrite a good one with a possibly infected one.

XP without the overhead of AV is much nicer, btw.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Macbook 2.0ghz coeduo 1GB RAM 80 GB HD SuperDrive
I use VMWare Fusion on my iMac and I don't have any virus protection at all on Windows. I did make an image of the operating system just after installing XP and before connecting the vm to the network. And each time, before going online, I make an image backup so that if I get stupid and get a virus, I can whack the image and replace it with an uninfected on. Not much is lost but the virus. The latest Fusion even lets me keep multiple images, so I don't have to overwrite a good one with a possibly infected one.

XP without the overhead of AV is much nicer, btw.

This.

Imaging (Parallels calls it screen shot I believe) is not only a way to save a lot of time yourself, but afaik many network admins are using virtual environments for server management due to the ease of using images as backup rather than fumbling with the need for extra physical space needed to store things such as disks.

Reaction score
The programs I use in XP are not dependent on the internet, so I just disable the connection. I also don't import any files that could be contaminated. Therefore, I don't need or use a Anti-virus program.

Reaction score
The programs I use in XP are not dependent on the internet, so I just disable the connection. I also don't import any files that could be contaminated. Therefore, I don't need or use a Anti-virus program.
I plan to do that also. Could you explain how to disable XP from using the internet?

vansmith

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mini (2014, 2018, 2020), MBA (2020), iPad Pro (2018), iPhone 13 Pro Max, Watch (S6)
Just disable it in your respective virtualization product. I don't use Fusion but in VirtualBox, you simply select your VM > Settings > Network > uncheck "Enable Network Adapter". This should disable your network adapter for the VM.

Reaction score
Just disable it in your respective virtualization product. I don't use Fusion but in VirtualBox, you simply select your VM > Settings > Network > uncheck "Enable Network Adapter". This should disable your network adapter for the VM.

I should have been more clear. I'm runnning a separate XP computer and once I get everything possible moved from it over to my new MBP, I want to disconnect the XP computer from the Internet, disable virus stuff, etc. I still want the XP computer on my network so it can communicate with the Mac. Is that possible?

BTW, apologies for the thread hijack!

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.