Remote mac from windows

Reaction score
I am able to connect from my Mac (OS X 10.5.7) to Windows (XP/SP3) but not from Windows to Mac. On Windows I can't even ping my Mac (I used ifconfig to see the address of the Mac). Is there a firewall on the Mac by default? Can anyone suggest something to try?

Is there a way to use Windows to access the mac just as Remote Desktop is from Windows to Windows?

vansmith

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mini (2014, 2018, 2020), MBA (2020), iPad Pro (2018), iPhone 13 Pro Max, Watch (S6)
Will VNC suffice? If so, a VNC server is built into Leopard under System Preferences > Sharing > Screen Sharing. Just make sure to set a password under "Computer Settings..."

I can't think of any right now but there are plenty of VNC clients for Windows.

OP
E
Reaction score
I gave that a try but it doesn't work. I entered the password as you suggested and checked the boxes:
"Anyone may request permission to control screen"
"VNC viewers may control screen with password"

When I run the VNC viewer from Windows and give it the same password VNC just disapears. When I look at the traffic with WireShark I see that VNC sends an Authentication response but then the Mac just closes the connection with a FIN.

I had previously tried Vine Server which worked but it is pretty slow.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15-inch MacBook Pro
I gave that a try but it doesn't work. I entered the password as you suggested and checked the boxes:
"Anyone may request permission to control screen"
"VNC viewers may control screen with password"

When I run the VNC viewer from Windows and give it the same password VNC just disapears. When I look at the traffic with WireShark I see that VNC sends an Authentication response but then the Mac just closes the connection with a FIN.

I had previously tried Vine Server which worked but it is pretty slow.

I got sick of dealing with crap like this which is why I use logmein now. I have tons and tons of machines (Apple and PC) that I control with it. No more VNC security issues, no more port forwarding, no more needing dynamic DNS, and the list goes on and on.

F

fade

I'll put a second in for logmein.com I've been using them for a while now. I even keep my mom's computer (in another state) so I can help her with stuff from time to time. It's free and easy to deal with.

OP
E
Reaction score
I just loaded LogMeIn. It really looks good. But without the internet it does not work.

vansmith

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mini (2014, 2018, 2020), MBA (2020), iPad Pro (2018), iPhone 13 Pro Max, Watch (S6)
It really looks good. But without the internet it does not work.
Unless you want remote access to a machine on your local network, you will need the internet to connect to that machine.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15-inch MacBook Pro
I just loaded LogMeIn. It really looks good. But without the internet it does not work.

LOL. Sorry. Who in the heck doesn't have the Internet?

vansmith

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Lots of people but it would be fair to assume that if you are looking to remote into another machine, you have net access. ;)

OP
E
Reaction score
Using the internet, at least with this program, causes delays and the high resolution is lost. I would think that the Mac would have something at least as good as Windows.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.