Macbook battery hot?

Reaction score
I've had my macbook for a week now, and I use the mac on my lap at home, but it's plugged into the wall. The laptop is definitely warmer than my old pc laptop, is this normal?

cwa107

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
14" MacBook Pro M1 Pro, 16GB RAM, 1TB SSD
If it's an aluminum model, then yes - aluminum tends to act as a heatsink and it will get warm. You'll notice that most manufacturers have stopped referring to their portable computers as "laptops", and moved to the term "notebooks". This is because modern laptops use powerful components that generate more heat. If you want to use it on your lap, I would suggest getting a lap desk or a notebook cooling pad.

OP
D
Reaction score
Yeah I just read somewhere that if I don't plug in the A/C power then it'll be cooler

cwa107

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
14" MacBook Pro M1 Pro, 16GB RAM, 1TB SSD
Slightly. When you're running on battery power, the CPU is stepped back and in turn will not generate as much heat. However, that only thinly masks the underlying problem of not using the computer as it was designed - and of course, the more frequently you drain the battery, the shorter its service life.

See under 'Using your MacBook' here:
Apple - Support - MacBook - Care and Handling

...and more specifically:

For prolonged use, place your MacBook on a flat, stable surface. Do not place your MacBook on your lap or other body surface for extended periods of time. Prolonged body contact can cause discomfort and potentially a burn. The bottom of the MacBook case functions as a cooling surface that transfers heat from inside the computer to the cooler air outside. The bottom of the case is raised slightly to allow airflow, which keeps the unit within normal operating temperatures. In addition, warm air is vented from the slots in the back of the case.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.