Keeping a CD/DVD RW disc open

Reaction score
Looking for confirmation - I think I have found various internet threads suggesting OSX will not keep a DVD or CD RW disc writeable once you have burned to it.

I'm needing to have a disc to keep adding files to as I generate them until the disc is full. In Windows you just keep dropping the files to your RW disc and they get burned to it.

How can I achieve this in OS X or do I have to buy a third party piece of software.

A bit disappointed its not as easy as dragging and dropping, or have I missed something obvious.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
20" Intel iMac 2.4 Ghz/3G Ram/320HD, Snow Leopard. PBook G4, 1.5Ghz/1.5 Ram/250 HD, Leopard 10.5.6.
You can do this in Disc Utility, and just select "burn session" from the menu, or get Burn - a free burning program, that is much easier to use for this kind of thing. It is not true that it's impossible!

Burn - Home

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
To Kevriano:

It is not true that it's impossible!

You can not multi-session write to a DVD or DVD+RW in OS X either with Disk Utility or third party software. Definitely a disappointment to folks who are switchers from Windows. :[

You can with a CDR or CDRW but even at that, it sometimes does not work. I have had "Burn" overwrite the TOC on several CD multi-session burns effectively destroying the entire contents. "BurnX Free" does a better job but the result is awkward. If you burn two sessions and mount the CD, it will show on the desktop as two separate CDs.

OS X definitely has some catching up to do with Windows when it comes to writing media.

Regards.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
20" Intel iMac 2.4 Ghz/3G Ram/320HD, Snow Leopard. PBook G4, 1.5Ghz/1.5 Ram/250 HD, Leopard 10.5.6.
To Kevriano:

You can not multi-session write to a DVD or DVD+RW in OS X either with Disk Utility or third party software. Definitely a disappointment to folks who are switchers from Windows. :[

You can with a CDR or CDRW but even at that, it sometimes does not work. I have had "Burn" overwrite the TOC on several CD multi-session burns effectively destroying the entire contents. "BurnX Free" does a better job but the result is awkward. If you burn two sessions and mount the CD, it will show on the desktop as two separate CDs.

OS X definitely has some catching up to do with Windows when it comes to writing media.

Regards.

Really! I admit I haven't tried on a DVD RW, but never had an issue with CD Rw's.
I will play around with Toast to see if it can do what's required.

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
I don't have any experience with Toast, although I have used Roxio products in Windows and generally like them. See if Toast will multi-session write to a CDR and how it arranges the sessions. I know that it will work OK on a CDRW.

"Burn" will sometimes overwrite the TOC on the second session of a CDR or CDRW which of course destroys the contents. "BurnX Free" does a better job (at least I haven't had any problems with it) but as I stated the disk will mount on the desktop the number of times according to the number of sessions. :(

And, unfortunately DVD, DVDRW multi-session writing is not currently supported in OS X. Perhaps with Snow Leopard? Would be nice.

Regards.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Ok, after much messing around with Toast, both on my G4 Powerbook and Intel iMac, I can confirm what chscaq said. It's not possible to multi write sessions. Silly and kind of defeats the idea of RW discs to an extent. But there's the answer - NO!

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.