just switched....

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Macbook Pro 13"
Hi,

i just switched to Mac book Pro after 20 years with PC - there's definitely a learning curve but it feels much easier than i thought .

Apple Care telephone support is simply fantastic - very helpful .. extremely patient.

My biggest worry was that i use my laptop primarily for business and with all the files / data, it will create havoc... 5 years of data was moved in 30 minutes .. and i was up and running in 1 day flat. There's still a lot of stuff to move but i feel within a few days my speed will be definitely FASTER than before..

i genuinely feel a sense of relief that i'll no longer have to bother to choose between toshibas - thinkpads ..etc. and put up with their crappy hardware issues.

I tried to transfer my outlook data to my mac and guess what ... my laptop kept crashing... but thankfully i could get most of the stuff out ..

There's just one thing though - i was very heavily dependant on microsoft ONENOTE - i cannot find anything close it. I've searched and searched - Omnipro - Evernote - Voodoo - Notebook - etc. etc. but none of them offer this very simple and basic function :- i.e A) create columns when u press TAB and resize the column based on the length of the word or sentence. B) Tabs. I'm absolutely not interested in programs which are free or which can store videos ... pictures ... just looking for something to organise text .. nothing else.

Would be extremely grateful if anybody could guide on this.

Thank you (and of course .. thank you Apple..)

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
rMBP 15" / 2.6GHz / 16GB / 512GB
Have you considered to actually install Windows on your Mac? Maybe in VmWare or Parallels. This way you can use Onenote from Microsoft while still having Mac OS X running.

I do not know about any good alternative I am afraid, someone else has to answer that.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
alMB, 2.0C2D, 2GB, 500GB, SD, etc
I know Word for Mac has a "notebook" mode...haven't used it myself in a while, and thus can't remember if it does exactly what you described, but it's worth a shot.
Also, as previously mentioned, OneNote on a VMWare/Parallels Windows XP virtual install would work marvelously, without any performance loss.

OP
H
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Macbook Pro 13"
Thanks for the replies.

1. I'm not sure if i want to install windows again - just for one program. Moreoever, can anybody guide if both things can run side by side or is it a time consuming process...? Thanks.

2. Word (office 2008) - is has a notebook feature but that only creates tabs - the tab/column part is not there so a lot of it is left out. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

I'm discovering new things about my mac everyday and its absolutely mind boggling to realise that i've been away from such a superior piece of technology for such a long time.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
rMBP 15" / 2.6GHz / 16GB / 512GB
Thanks for the replies.

1. I'm not sure if i want to install windows again - just for one program. Moreoever, can anybody guide if both things can run side by side or is it a time consuming process...? Thanks.

2. Word (office 2008) - is has a notebook feature but that only creates tabs - the tab/column part is not there so a lot of it is left out. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

I'm discovering new things about my mac everyday and its absolutely mind boggling to realise that i've been away from such a superior piece of technology for such a long time.

It is possible to run a specific windows application seamlessly with Mac OS X without you having to have the Windows desktop open at the same time (or should I say visible). I think parallels have this feature. It will most probably require a little setting up to get it working but it would probably be the best solution for you. If you cant find any good enough alternative that is.

Reaction score
Look at some of these (searched for 'notes') at Versiontracker. I kind of liked Mori - YMMV.

OP
H
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Macbook Pro 13"
Thank you so much for the replies and the help.

Regarding mac mail todo, is there a plug in which can :- a) sort the todos first by calender and then by due date? b) display them in groups?

i'm very happy with the functionality but the display/sorting part needs improvement.

And is there any particular reason why i cannot print my todo list? The print command is not avaiable for todo.

thank you.

OP
H
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Macbook Pro 13"
By the way, day after tomorrow i'll be completing 1 week - 1 entire week with my mac and every bit of me is thankful for making the switch. The last 4 days have breezed in setting up my files etc. This weekend i'll look into iphoto and garage .....

i realise i'm saving at least a minimum of 30 - 40 minutes SIMPLY turning on and off the machine . With windows every 3 or 4 hours i had to re-boot for one reason or the other. 3 / 4 minutes shut off - another 3 / 4 minutes to boot up. Do that 3 or 4 times and add to that the time consumed by the distraction.......

Wifi - i was using a thinkpad x200 - the darn wifi switch was made of cheap plastic and even when it was "on", the machine would not take it. So i had to move the switch back n forth until it registered..... With Mac THERE ARE NO SWITCHES to move!!!!!

Thank u Apple...

Reaction score
i am an avid onenote fan. you may want to look into this.. DEVONnote. it sounds similar. i haven't downloaded the trial.

i went the vm/parallels and windows route so i could keep my onenote (and also required IE for work).

yes, i can run them 'side by side', per se. i put a onenote icon on mac dock, just click on it when i need to go into onenote, it automatically starts up parallels, macafee, etc.. the only thing i havent had time to figure out is if i'm working on safari on mac side and want to print (send to onenote), how i can *easily* do that. honestly though, i haven't spent much time figuring that out.

OP
H
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Macbook Pro 13"
Thank you once again to everyone who took the trouble of guiding me. Few questions coming up and i hope i can get an answer to them :-

1. I usually created lists in excel and email them out. Earlier when i made an email in html, the email would show the columns that i created in excel with the borders.
Now when i create it, and copy / paste it to a new mail message (rich text) - the columns are lost.
a Is there an option to create html email
b If no, is there any way i can send a table with columns WITHOUT IT BEING AN ATTACHMENT.

2. Keychain
a I'm trying to study it this weekend.
b From user's experience, is it good enough to store passwords which are NOT REQUIRED on the internet? Like say, my family's id numbers etc. And any chance to sync it with blackberry or iphone?

3. V.IMP - mail TODO
- - the todos are sorted by either due date or any other column on the top
- - is it possible to sort them by due date and then by a secondary column?
- - if no, is there any plug-in to do that?

4. SMART FOLDERS
I find them extremely useful.
However, i've landed up creating more than 40 - 50 of them.
Is it possible to combine them or nest them in a folder so that u dont have to go thru the entire list to look for a folder.
Or is there a shortcut key to go directly to the folder i want?

Thank you for the help - sincerely appreciate.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.