Create Chinese document in InDesign

Reaction score
The company I work for often translates our English brochures into Spanish and Russian. It has been very easy, we just receive a Russian or Spanish word document from a translator which I then paste into Indesign and as long as I use Arial or Times as the font, all the characters appear in the language as they should.

My question is would this be any different for Chinese? I have some fonts that are Chinese looking but they appear in English if I try to use them. Any thoughts?

If I get a document in Chinese, paste it into InDesign will it retain those special characters?

Any thoughts on how to correctly make a document into Chinese is what I need to know. Thanks

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
the regular white macbook from '09
I can't help too much, but I know that many, many Chinese characters are correctly proportional in the font of "SimSum". I don't know if there's a space in between Sim and Sum or not, but it's what most of the characters are on a pc.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.