OK but not great, can't get dev tools to work.

Reaction score
First, a little diatribe. I suggest everyone to learn a new language every so often. Just a pick a language and tried to become fluent in said language. I think learning a new software technology is kind of like learning a new language. You start out without a clue and it is frustrating, but over time you attempt to become better at speaking and writing.

I am having trouble learning the mac for what I need to do. It isn't mac's fault. It is different and I am not used to it. So, instead of learning to use it, I fall back to windows and linux.

I do a lot of development, and mostly on Windows, Unix and Linux. I am used to those tools. I have a couple of issues with the mac, mainly because I can't get the open source software to work. I go Eclipse running. But can't get the command line tools to work. And still don't know if the jury is still out. Do I use fink or mac ports. I tried macports/darwinports but 60% of the software never builds. So normally I just go without the software I was trying to work with. In Ubuntu, I have never had a package not install(if I use 'apt').

Most of the good tools are commercial. That is fine, but then I actually buy a piece of software, I checked out the reviews and it still isn't adequate. For that I cheated and just ended up using VMWare and using Windows/Linux as a vm image.

I tried XCode/Project, whatever but it seems like a huge system, I haven't had time to wrap my hands around it.

For example, here is an issue I am having.

http://www.mac-forums.com/forums/os...-using-darwinports-development-libraries.html

--------------
So, those are the issues with doing development.

There are some UI gripes that I have. My biggest gripe:

Where is MY SOFTWARE? I can't ever find software I installed or know if I even installed the software. Sure, I guess I could put everything in "Applications" but I kind of like the "windows" style 'desktop' and 'start menu'. And for some reason I don't get the *.dmg, *.img? I guess I download an archived dmg file and the just drag it over to the Applications directory? And it is installed. I don't know, I kind of like double-click/install.

The overlapping/minimized windows on the mac takes getting used to. For example, if you minimize your application window. The application may still be active, but you don't see anything. You look at the top menu and you can't tell what application is active. I don't know, that just takes getting used it.

Anyway, so far those are just some of my gripes.

vansmith

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mini (2014, 2018, 2020), MBA (2020), iPad Pro (2018), iPhone 13 Pro Max, Watch (S6)
And for some reason I don't get the *.dmg, *.img? I guess I download an archived dmg file and the just drag it over to the Applications directory? And it is installed. I don't know, I kind of like double-click/install.
For 95% of programs, you just described how to install them. As for the double click install, this is a lot quicker. Open the image and drag the app to a folder of your choosing (the standard is /Applications). It is different but I fail to see how this is harder/less preferable than walking through a set of dialogs.

You acknowledge that OS X is different but then complain about your frustration. Listen to yourself - OS X is different and if you want to use it, you will have to learn all of it's idiosyncrasies.

As for MacPorts, I have never had software not build. AFAIK, DarwinPorts is old - stick with MacPorts. That said, if the software is there, it should build.

cwa107

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
14" MacBook Pro M1 Pro, 16GB RAM, 1TB SSD
Want a start bar? Very easy. Drag your Applications folder to the right side of the dock (but don't put it in the trash). Once the Applications folder is there, all of your apps will pop up in a menu very similar to the Start bar.

vansmith

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mini (2014, 2018, 2020), MBA (2020), iPad Pro (2018), iPhone 13 Pro Max, Watch (S6)
Want a start bar? Very easy. Drag your Applications folder to the right side of the dock (but don't put it in the trash). Once the Applications folder is there, all of your apps will pop up in a menu very similar to the Start bar.
To make it even more Windows "start menu like", right click the newly placed stack and select "List" under "View Content as". The choice of view though, is entirely up to you.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15" MacBook Pro, 2.53 Core Duo, 4GB DDR3, NVIDEA 9400 graphics.
I came to this site because I, too, am having issues with the developer tools. I tried installing the developer tools from the OSX disk that came with the Macbook, but I'm trying to get Etherape and can't get it to find or install from ports.
I have PCBSD on my desktop and have had luck there; I know that OSX is based on the FreeBSD kernel as is PCBSD, but this is JUST different enough to confuse me...
So I would be very grateful if someone is willing a help a Mac n00b with ports...
Thanks in advance, and I love learning new languages... ;)

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.