will macbook work in future?

Reaction score
Hi,

I'm planning to buy a new Mac. Have been on Windows and different distros of Linux all my life.
Since I have to do some basic computing tasks like internet, latex, photos etc, I decided to buy a standard Macbook instead of MBP.
I have a couple of questions though:

1. Since Mac is Unix based, can I run all my linux programs on a mac?

2. Is it possible that any future versions of OS X will require improved hardware and my Macbook goes dysfunctional? I'm thinking of taking 4GB RAM macbook.

thanks in advance

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
Question # 1: Yes, you can run the popular Linux distros on your MacBook and Linux software. Linux will run well from a VM - take a look at virtual software from Parallels, Fusion, and the free VirtualBox offered by Sun Microsystems.

Question # 2: No one knows what hardware a future version of OS X will require but chances are good that your MacBook will continue to be useful years from now.

Regards.

Reaction score
Being the smart Linux user you are, you certainly know Linux is not Unix. Linux is "Unix-like" according to Wikipedia, and this is accurate. OS X on the other hand is based on a real Unix derivative, BSD. They are not the same.

That said, many "*nix" apps are cross-ported among the various *nix flavors. You may want to see if native versions of your Linux apps exist for OS X.

2. Is it possible that any future versions of OS X will require improved hardware and my Macbook goes dysfunctional? I'm thinking of taking 4GB RAM macbook.
The upcoming version 10.6 of OS X is going to be heavily tweaked for Intel CPUs, and will be 64-bit native. All current shipping Macs have 64-bit capable CPUs so this won't be an issue. The Core 2 Duos in the current Apple lineup have a lot of life left, but if you really want to be safe, get the fastest processor available for the type of Mac you want.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
alMB, 2.0C2D, 2GB, 500GB, SD, etc
2. Is it possible that any future versions of OS X will require improved hardware and my Macbook goes dysfunctional? I'm thinking of taking 4GB RAM macbook

Personally, I wouldn't be worried in the slightest that MacBooks will be outdated anytime soon. Now that Apple is releasing Intel-only versions of OS X (starting with 10.6 Snow Leopard), you're already "ahead" of anyone with a PowerPC-based Mac (myself included). But, as already mentioned, no one really knows the future :Smirk:

OP
P
Reaction score
Thanks for the replies guys!
I just want the thing to work with the latest OS for 3-4 years, I'm anyways going to give it to my parents after that and switch to a new machine (as I usually do)

Reaction score
Hi,

I'm planning to buy a new Mac. Have been on Windows and different distros of Linux all my life.
Since I have to do some basic computing tasks like internet, latex, photos etc, I decided to buy a standard Macbook instead of MBP.
I have a couple of questions though:

thanks in advance

Many thanks to ur post. I love it.

comparatif simulation taux pret auto - taux pret auto differe selon la prise en compte ... calculent automatiquement le taux pour un prêt automobile donne.comparatif simulation taux pret auto

Reaction score
your macbook will probably be useable for about 6 years, unless you damage it

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.