new MBP couple questions

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
13.3" Macbook Pro 2.26, 4GB Ram, 160GB HD, WD 2TB, 24" ACD. iPad 64GB 3G. iPhone 4 32GB Unlocked.
Hi all,
this is my first post so I'll introduce myself. My Name is Shawn and I'm in the Army stationed in Germany. I just bought a 13.3 MacBook Pro, basically an off the shelf model with the basic stuff. Due to my remote area it's difficult to get Apple computers let alone in English. I've been a life long Windows user and still technically am because i have like 5 computers and only the one MacBook. So far I like my Macbook with the limited play time i've had on it. Hopefully it will grow on me more as time goes by.

Ok, on to the questions.

1. I'm planning to take this Mac on a samll vacation to a wonderful sand covered area with no water called Afghanistan. It gets really hot there, will the MBP be OK with the heat? I'll most likly only run it at night to watch movies and such and chat with the wife and what not but I want to make sure it's not going to melt or something.

2. Are programs such as iwork and other apple made programs availible for straight download or do I need to order it from somewhere in CD/DVD format?

3. On my Windows computer I have an internet USB stick from a company called O2, it works well with Windows but i'm unsure if it will work on the Mac as it needs a program to install on the computer. Please advise on this one.

4. I'm sure I could find the answer on here somewhere if I had time to look but will all of my .mpg, .avi, . whatever movies and stuff all work on the Mac? I have about 1.2 TB of movies and TV shows in various formats on 2 external hard drives.

5. OK last question, i've seen mixed reviews of whether or not there should be some sort of anti virus program. What is the real deal?

Thanks
Shawn

CrimsonRequiem

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MBP 2.3 Ghz 4GB RAM 860 GB SSD, iMac 3.4 GHz Intel Core i7 32GB RAM, Fusion Drive 1TB
I highly doubt that it will melt.

You can download iWork. Trial version for 30 days. Then you can buy it as well.

Can't comment on number three. If it doesn't work on Mac, then you can try running Parallel, or VM Fusion with Windows installed in a Virtual machine. If that doesn't work then you can try installing Windows via Boot Camp.

VLC player plays every format I have encountered so far.

You don't need a virus program for the Mac side of the OS. If you have Windows installed then yes you should.

Reaction score
3. If you do a couple Google searches, you'll see that your O2 stick should work on the MBP. Should be pretty much plug&play.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
21" iMac * 2.8 Ghz Intel Core i7 * 16GB 1333 Mhz DDR3 * 1TB HD *AMD Radeon HD 6770M 512 MB
1. Just keep it out of direct sunlight, make sure it has proper ventilation and it should be alright.

2. Looks like most Apple Software is available for download.

3. I transfer files between my MBP and my Windows machine with my USB drive and it seems to work fine. I don't ever bother with flash drive software, I just drag and drop.

4. Download Flip4Mac to handle Windows Media files and VLC for avi files and you should be all set. Both are free.

5. If you've seen the reviews and discussions here about antivirus software, you know as much as anyone else. Some will tell you it's useless, others will say it's better to be safe than sorry. It's really your call, but the consensus seems to be you can do without it. I don't use any antivirus software. But that's for another thread:
http://www.mac-forums.com/forums/switcher-hangout/23835-official-mac-antivirus-firewall-faq.html

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.